The future of teaching – a future teacher’s perspective

Shelby Summers

Stuck typing keys while we look at the computer screen… I hope this isn’t our new reality.

Due to COVID we had to do school virtually for more than a year.

With that being said, the Clark County Board of Education spent a lot of money to provide us with proper technology.

This includes getting every student in Clark County school systems a Chromebook.

Remember a time in elementary school when you learned how to write and use your fine motor skills or in middle school when you started to learn how to write a research paper or in high school where you write out the definitions you need to remember for your AP tests?

That all had a change in plans for the year of 2021 and I hope we don’t stick with more technology.

I plan to be a future teacher and I hope to teach students normally and not how to do assignments on a Chromebook.

Students, no matter the age or grade, retain more information if they write it rather than typing it.

People all have different ways of learning and one way many students learn is through hands-on experience.

After COVID has passed and if we continue to use more technology in the weekly lesson plans, our education system will go down.

Technology is advancing and that is great but it’s not something we should rely on.

What happens if we move to working on computers instead of paper and pencil and the internet goes out or a student’s laptop dies.

What is the solution?

I’m going to college to be a teacher not to major in technology.