Smoke Signals Student Media

Smoke Signals Student Media

Smoke Signals Student Media

GRC educator was once a flight attendant

Mrs. Rutton in her flight attendant days.

Not many can say they spent their 20s traveling the world and making memories that will last a lifetime. GRC’s very own Mrs. LaVonne Rutten did just that. 

Mrs. Rutten went to college to become an educator, but after a few years teaching Spanish, she decided to follow her passion for travel and apply to be a flight attendant before the opportunity slipped away.

On that note she drove to Cincinnati one day and applied for her dream job. A few days later she got called back for an interview and the rest was history. 

“I started because I wanted to explore,” says Mrs. Rutten. 

Over the next few years Mrs. Rutten spent several nights in airports and traveling all over the world. 

“I was based in Pittsburgh,” she says, “and then from there my bases were in between Pittsburgh and Cincinnati. I can’t tell you how many airports I have slept in.”

Even though there were long hours and nights, she would not change the experience for anything.

“It’s something I’m so glad I did when I was young because I did it until I had my first son,” she says.

Mrs. Rutten traveled to more than 15 countries, and learned all about different cultures over the world. She made several memories and experienced so many different lifestyles. 

“I was able to see more of the world and understand more of the world,” she says. “I would have three or four days down and I’m in Frankfurt, Germany, Tuscany or Venice, and I’m able to experience the culture,” says Mrs. Rutten. “You learn to understand that people are different and we have to have respect that.”

Being a flight attendant is a very exciting career, and requires a passion for travel. 

“Every time the plane takes off, you’re on a constant roller coaster,” she says. “It’s an everyday thrill and definitely one of the most exciting careers I’ve had.”

During her time working for the airlines Mrs. Rutten built relationships and created memories all over the world. She would not trade her experience for anything. 

“The people that I’ve met, and the people that I’ve worked with, they’ve all been a part of my life and my journey,” she says. “When you have people who still call you from abroad, and it’s someone you worked with from the time you were in your 20s, I mean, it’s phenomenal.”