Cardinal Camaraderie: Chemistry benefits GRC Soccer seniors on and off the field

Photo by Josie Sherman
Boys Soccer Seniors: Owen Rainey, Jacob Tipton, Rylan Graves, Clay Turley, Jay Ebert, Coach Vogler, Jacob Davis, Eli Roach, Joby Mitmesser, Joey Hill, PK Vogel

Amazing goals. Incredible saves. Pinpoint passes.

These are all things that come to mind when you think of soccer, and it’s no different for the GRC Boys Soccer team. However, they have something that no amount of practice could achieve: chemistry.

Chemistry is not a unique thing in sports. Every team has at least some chemistry, as it comes naturally through the course of a season as they face adversity. What separates the GRC team from others is just how long their chemistry has been brewing.

“I’ve known the majority of my senior teammates since middle school,” said Eli Roach. “Some of them I didn’t meet until GRC, but we still bonded through soccer. I have been playing with them since 8th grade.”

This familiarity proved invaluable to the team on their Senior Night, as they overcame a two-goal deficit, scoring four straight goals to defeat Frankfort.

“We were down 2-0 at half, but we knew we were the better team and if we worked together we would put some goals in the back of the net,” said Clay Turley. “We just had to trust each other and we ended up scoring two goals in the first six minutes of the second half and won 4-2. Our chemistry let us not get down on ourselves because we knew we could beat them if we played together, and that’s what happened.”

If you watched this game, it was obvious that this team has trust in each other. The passing and communication shown on the pitch was incredible, a testament to how close the team has grown. However, this camaraderie is something that has come from more than just soccer.

“We hang out with each other outside of soccer, and are generally just there for each other,” said Owen Rainey. “We fight for each other on the field because we care about each other as people, not just as players.”

Fighting for one another is a must in order for a team to reach its full potential, and GRC’s ability to have each other’s back at all times has benefitted the team off the field as well. Injuries are a sad reality in every sport at every level, and GRC is no exception.

“My teammates have helped push me through all the injuries I have had over my high school career, and they help fight to get me back on the field,” said Jacob Tipton.

However, GRC’s season came to an unfortunate end as they fell to Bishop Brossart in the Region tournament.

“I feel heartbroken,” said PK Vogel. “Nobody expected the season to end like that. I’m still lingering on it.”

For the seniors though, life must go on. They now turn their attention toward moving forward in life, to graduation and beyond, taking with them the lessons they learned from being with each other.

“I think the biggest impact the team will have on me will be always having friends I can depend on,” said Clay Turley. “Going into college is hard for everyone, but at least I know I have people to fall back on if everything isn’t going how I want.”

“Playing and socializing with my team has taught me a lot about how to be a family,” said Joby Mitmesser. “The people that I surrounded myself with on the field are great people that I can learn from, so I can be helpful or just a good friend to anyone I meet in the future.”