Smoke Signals Student Media

Smoke Signals Student Media

Smoke Signals Student Media

Dance Cards rise to the challenge

GRC Dance Team

The 2023-24 GRC dance team has revolutionized the way Clark County sees dance.

The past few years, coaches Whitney and Haley Snell have taken the challenge to turn the GRC Dance Team around.

“When my mom and I took over the dance team, there were four dancers, a couple hundred bucks, no booster program, and no uniforms,” says assistant coach Haley Snell. “It’s been an uphill battle for sure!”

Many dancers are appreciative of the environment and work ethic.

“Coach Whitney and Coach Haley welcomed everyone with open arms, and with dedication and strive right behind them,” says senior Emily Debord.

Coaches Whitney and Haley Snell have several goals set for the dance team.

“The first thing I wanted to do was grow respect for the program. I think we have successfully done that,” Coach Snell continues. “My mom and I work really hard to make sure the girls are outfitted in nice uniforms, and provide professional choreography. I have several connections in the dance industry that give us access to top-notch choreographers. The dancers work hard at perfecting routines so they are confident when they take the floor.”

The coaches and dancers have put in several hours of hard work and dedication to make major breakthroughs this year.

“What a lot of people don’t realize is that the dance season runs year round,” says Coach Snell.

Tryouts are in April or May for the next year. “Then we hit the ground running with practices during the summer,” she says, adding that after football season, the team learns its competition routine after football season, and a few new game routines to perform at basketball games.

“After we support the girls and boys basketball teams during their seasons, we round out ours with the most exciting part – competitions,” says Coach Snell. “After our competition season, we have about a month off until we start it all over again!”

Members of the dance team agree that hours of their hard work have made major turning points this season.

“The biggest turning point for the team was competing in jazz,” says Junior Layla Snell. “None of us have competed in jazz before, so we were super intimidated by it, but we trusted our coaches’ decision. We knew it was all worth it when we won and all the hard work throughout the season was finally being showcased. It’s always fun to share the moment of winning with the team that you have worked so hard with.”

This is just the start for the GRC Dance Team; they have several successful years ahead of them. Sophomore Maddy Berryman has goals set for herself and her team for the upcoming future.

“The biggest goal I want to accomplish is getting better as a team and also as an individual,” Maddy says. “I also want to continue dancing throughout college and improve my skills.”

Layla Snell agrees and wants to see a more competitive aspect brought to the team.

“The main goals for the team in the upcoming years are attending KHSAA regionals and hopefully advancing to the state level,” explains Layla. “Another goal we always have every year is growing our team and gaining new skills and working to be better. There’s always room for improvement.”

Not only have the members of the team gained physical skill, they have also created friendships and memories along the way.

“I think that my time on the dance team was spent with the best memories, laughs, and better than ever skills I have learned over the last five years,” says Debord. “I think that whoever joins the dance team next year will meet so many amazing girls and so many memories like I did.”

Berryman agrees and thinks the bond that all the girls made together is one of the best experiences to come from the team.

“One of my favorite memories was the bus ride home from our ‘Battle of the Bows’ competitions,” Maddy explains. “While we were on the bus, we spent most of the time singing and laughing with each other as we built our bond while having fun as a team.”

It’s clear that the development of the dance team has changed the perspective for all of Winchester.

The diligence and perseverance of the team confirmed a start of a new era for your GRC dance team.