FFA makes its mark as one of Kentucky’s finest

Clark County FFA received the national 3-star chapter award.

Agriculture. Business. Science. The FFA does it all.

This club is teaching leadership, dedication, and hard work. FFA is a national organization that helps prepare the youth to find real-world experience and discover talents that will translate into successful career paths.

FFA brings many things to the table, foremost among them providing amazing opportunities for personal growth and improved leadership skills.

“My experience in FFA has shown me what it’s like to be around growing leaders and individuals who enjoy serving not only the members of our school but also our community,” says Daniel Townsend, FFA President and member for five years.

These experiences help to push students to become well- rounded individuals, and provide for others through service.

FFA is known for its important work in the community. “We do a lot of service work and projects throughout the community and at other schools,” said adviser Terra Pigg.

With this drive for service, the FFA does a lot to improve our community and town pride.

Along with the FFA’s participation and service has come many awards and achievements.

Mrs. Pigg lists some of their recent accomplishments, including being named a Gold Emblem of Kentucky, and being rated one of the top chapters in Kentucky.

FFA continued their legacy at the National Level and were awarded a Three-Star Chapter award in 2023, the highest overall rating possible from National FFA. “It was a proud moment for me,” said Mrs. Pigg. “It makes it all worth it when the kids have the drive to work hard and then see the importance of their work.”

Along with the endless opportunities for growth, there are also many occasions for making amazing memories that also further real-world experiences.

The group made memories before school started at FFA Camp held at the Kentucky FFA Leadership training center. “One of my favorite memories I’ve made so far would have to be attending FFA Camp,” says Townsend. “It’s where newly elected officers and members bond as a team and meet many other FFA chapters in the state.”

The FFA provides many opportunities for success and enjoyment like livestock judging, rodeos and career development events that showcase a wide variety of talents.

Though this club is primarily agriculturally based, it offers skills that extend to many different parts of life.

“Many people believe that FFA is a club for farmers but it’s not only that, it’s about helping members achieve their personal growth and developing their leadership skills to prepare them for a successful future while being based around an agricultural field,” says Townsend.

Involvement from new students is encouraged for all. As Mrs. Pigg states, “It’s a whole different element when you are at an event and you’re getting to know different people and you’re pushed outside your normal bounds. And a lot of students are very successful when they are pushed by their peers. You can take a kid that’s all about business and turn them into an agriculture kid.”

Those interested in joining this amazing program need to enroll in an agriculture class at GRC, and meet with Mrs. Pigg.  For more information, you can follow their Instagram page, or their Facebook.

This club offers experiences unlike any other club, with countless opportunities filled with good memories and incredible lessons that prepare you for countless situations.

GRC’s FFA is continuing its path to distinction this year, with plans to continually expand their chapter, further connect with active members, and get as many people to participate as possible.

The FFA Executive Team attended leadership training this summer