How to find support, because you are never alone

Lexi Garza shares her personal story

Lexi Garza

Online school has been a very new thing to Clark County.

We went from seeing each other five days out of the week, with the exception of holidays and weather days, to going completely virtual.

And for many students, myself included, it has taken a toll on our academics and our mental health. Luckily, we are not alone.

Since school switched to being virtual, I have struggled with keeping up and having motivation for getting anything done.

My grades went from being As and Bs, to Cs, Ds, and even Fs. I was worried that I had fallen behind too much to ask for help, and that my teachers would just be angry with me, so I just gave up.

This year started the same way, with forgetting I have assignments due or even just ignoring them out of lack of motivation. I was failing. It’s my senior year, so if I gave up again, I wouldn’t be able to graduate.

My teacher, whom I’ve had since freshman year, noticed that I wasn’t the student I normally was. She then reached out to me because she was concerned that I would fail my last year of high school.

I finally caved and told her that I was struggling with my mental health and keeping up with school. My teacher was able to create a way for me to get help from the school, and talk with my other teachers on how to get my grades back on track.

There are many ways to get help through the school that I wasn’t aware of. For example, we have a school therapist. Your class counselor can set you up with a plan or get you the resources you need. And, we have The Nest.

What helped me, personally, was getting set up with The Nest, an extension of help through the counseling department.

Tucked in the corner in the 300s hallway is a safe place for students to talk to people who understand and can help with both academics and mental health, mainly a support group. It is also a room that has a rule that whatever is said in there stays in there.

They help students who may be falling through the cracks or those who need some extra support, and I was able to get help.

Something I did notice is that teachers, no matter how intimidating they may seem at times, are very understanding during this time.

It is a little difficult to ask for help sometimes, especially if you normally aren’t one to struggle, but trust me when I say that the teachers get it.

You just have to be honest with them and tell them you are having trouble with things and need help catching up, or getting counseling.

You truly are not alone; don’t be afraid to ask for some help. You can ask your counselor or any teacher for resources.

Don’t fall through the cracks. Don’t give up. It isn’t too late. 

*If you are looking for a way to get help, please talk to a counselor or a teacher you can trust so that you can be set up with an outlet for support.*

The Nest Resources (Graphic submitted)