Limited basketball ticket sales opening to students

Photo by Megan Huff

Jared Wellman goes up for 2 in a recent home game.

The anticipated wait to get to see our girls and boys basketball teams play in our outstanding new arena is finally coming to an end for students.

This Friday, a home boy/girl doubleheader basketball game is scheduled against Mason County.

From 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Thursday, tickets will be available for GRC students to purchase for Friday’s game.

Thirty tickets will be available to purchase for $7 each.

Following KHSAA guideline and their 15 percent capacity rule, Athletic Director Jamie Keene said GRC wants students to be able to get to the games and cheer on the Cards, too.

“We have been really restrictive since the opening of the season,” he said. “We have just now begun letting cheer and band participate. We should have about 30-40 tickets available for students each game. We felt like we needed to get some of our students at the games as much as possible.”

Although students are permitted to attend games, COVID safety guidelines must be followed.

Students must sit in the upper level with all other spectators, wear a mask, and social distance.

So, as of right now, there will be no Get Rowdy Crew student section allowed.

Navigating this situation due to COVID-19 and all the guidelines the school must follow, it has been difficult to allow members of the community to attend games.

“With these restrictions,” Keene said, “we have not been selling any tickets to the public and I don’t anticipate being able to do so. Each player, cheerleader, and band member gets an allotment of tickets and we will offer what is left to our students and staff, until capacity is reached. I hope the community understands these are difficult decisions but ultimately feel that it is best to try to get our students to the games.”

For those who cannot attend but would still like to watch the games, a live stream is available at www.nfhsnetwork.com with a purchased subscription.