Cardinals top 5th Ranked Madison Central in Home Opener

Back to Article
Back to Article

Jordan Graham goes up for a shot in the first half. Graham gave GRC an early edge against Madison Central, hitting 3 three-pointers in the first quarter.

Nick Hounshell, Editor-In-Chief

GRC and Madison Central were both ranked in the top-10 in the Courier-Journal’s top 25 poll, however both teams had suffered defeats prior to their meeting Tuesday night in Winchester.

Madison Central was coming off of a 22 point loss to the hands of Lafayette, while GRC looked for redemption after a 9 point loss to last year’s region champs, Campbell County.

The Cardinals got off to a hot start, scorching the net and taking an early lead. Jordan Graham would make 3 three-point baskets in the quarter to give GRC an 8 point lead after the first quarter.

Madison Central would never tie the game up again.

However, the second quarter saw the game tighten up, as the Indians’ shooters caught fire and cut the Cardinal lead to 3 points.

The Cardinals maintained composure and battled back. Isaiah Cozart, the Indian center and WKU commit, would get into foul trouble and sit out the remainder of the quarter, opening the door for GRC.

A buzzer-beating put back by sophomore Jared Wellman put the Cardinals ahead 33-22 at halftime.

Jared Wellman played a big role in GRC’s victory, hitting a buzzer-beater to put his team up 11 at the half.

GRC kept control of the game in the second-half, never allowing the Indians to get within striking distance.

The Cardinals would go on to win 57-46.

Madison Central falls to 1-2 on the season, but will look to recoup and battle Scott County for their region title.

Coach Cook’s Cardinals advance to 2-1, but look ahead to Friday night’s match-up with Pendleton County. Look for a big match-up between Jordan Graham and Pendleton’s Dontaie Allen, a UK commit.

While the season is young, GRC looks dangerous, and certainly has the potential to make a deep run in the postseason.

A very long road lies ahead for the Cardinals, but if they keep focused and play with passion, that road may be a straight shot to Rupp.

About the Writer
Nick Hounshell, Editor-In-Chief

Nick Hounshell is a Senior and second-year Smoke Signals member. His favorite animal is a lemur, his favorite movie is Arrival, and he is on the golf team...

1 Comment

One Response to “Cardinals top 5th Ranked Madison Central in Home Opener”

1. Mike Rogers on December 11th, 2018 10:11 am

Nick, I wanted to make you aware of a mistake on the recent scores info. The GRC girls beat Scott instead of Scott County. Thanks, you do nice work.

• Cardinals top 5th Ranked Madison Central in Home Opener

2018-19 Sports

Archery team improves through the years

2018-19 Sports

Archery Team Shoots for Continued Success

2018-19 Sports

Boys’ Basketball Desires Revenge This Season

2018-19 Sports

Girls’ Basketball Looking to Continue Legacy of Excellence

2018-19 Sports

Flashback: Players From First GRC Girls’ Soccer Team Reflect on Success