Cohort students express creativity through mural

Mckenzie Crowl works on the mural in the 100s hallway.

Everyone is likely familiar with the mural that is being painted at the entrance in the foyer downstairs, however, many probably are not informed of the creative thoughts and ideas of the students behind the artwork.

Students were presented with the opportunity to paint the mural as suggested by Katherine Lowther, Director of the Fine Arts Cohort, and Principal Bolen.

“No one wants to see drab OSB board for entire year as they enter school or when they are here for an event,” says Stephanie Wilson, Cohort visual arts teachers. “Why not create something beautiful and enjoyable for all?”

The students creatively decided to base their artwork off of a Keith Haring style (representing anyone of any race or demographic), showing a variety of typical student activities and representing a diverse population.

“We are going to try to make it representative of the entire school population,” Wilson says.

“They wanted the color palette to be bright and appealing so that the audience would feel welcomed as they entered the building and have something nice to look at it.”

The greatest part about the mural is its portability. Once construction on the new gym is complete, the mural can be broken down, transported, and pieced back together. Individual sections of the mural could even be displayed separately throughout school when construction is finished.

“You can see that there is a huge variety of organic and geometric shapes moving about throughout the canvas,” says Wilson. “The shapes are moving and flowing together as a whole just like our school and the population does every year.”