GRC Triumphs over Tates Creek for Fourth Consecutive Victory

Quarterback Will Henry led the GRC offense to a huge fourth quarter Friday night vs. Tates Creek.

Nick Hounshell, Editor-In-Chief

Following their first district win since 2014, optimism was at a high heading into the Cards’ matchup with Tates Creek.

A slow start found GRC trailing the Commodores in the first quarter, following a fumble recovery returned for the touchdown.

Despite the early miscue, the Cardinals saw themselves only down six, thanks to a blocked extra-point attempt.

In the second quarter the offense came alive, with Nitavius Thomas’ 16th rushing touchdown of the season putting GRC up 7-6.

A 63 yard pass and catch by the Commodores on the following drive gave Tates Creek the lead.

With under a minute to play in the first half, GRC’s offense chipped away at the lead with a 27 yard field goal by Tye Boyken.

The Cards trailed 12-10 at the break.

The third quarter was an all-defense affair, as each team came up scoreless.

However, just as the third quarter drew to a close, an interception by Ethan Thomas threw all of the momentum in GRC’s direction.

The Cardinals would capitalize on the turnover early in the fourth quarter, as Will Henry fired complete to Azzy Israel for 19 yards and a touchdown.

Sophmore Azzy Israel had a standout game, helping the Cardinals to a 30-12 victory.

The defense continued their dominant performance on the next drive, forcing a quick punt out of the Tates Creek offense.

On the ensuing drive for GRC, Will Henry would lead the offense back down the field. Henry ended the drive on a pass to Isaiah Noland resulting in a touchdown.

The Cardinals carried a 23-12 lead halfway through the final quarter.

GRC’s defense never let their foot off the gas pedal, forcing another turnover on Tates Creek’s next drive.

A late touchdown put the Cardinals up 18, where the score would remain until the final whistle.

The 30-12 victory means GRC advances to 6-2 on the season, and 2-0 in district play.

With the win, GRC is guaranteed to host the opening round of the state playoff for the first time since 2014.

Next week, the Cardinals square off with Madison Central in a game of monumental caliber. A win would give GRC their first district championship since 2009.

However, this game will be no walk in the park, as the Indians are 6-2, with their only losses coming to two undefeated programs.

No matter the outcome, the Cardinals continue to win, and in two seasons under Coach Lucas, GRC has gone from a one-win team to one that is challenging the perennial powers of the district.

About the Writer
Nick Hounshell, Editor-In-Chief

Nick Hounshell is a Senior and second-year Smoke Signals member. His favorite animal is a lemur, his favorite movie is Arrival, and he is on the golf team at GRC.