Youth Service Center Offers Opportunities for All Students

A student works at the Application Station in the Youth Service Center.

High school students are facing the most critical moments of their lives. It’s during this time that students start applying to colleges and getting jobs, all while making sure they have the resources they need for success. It’s a stressful time for most, but students don’t have to go through it alone.

The Youth Service Center offers aid to students in all of their endeavors. Students can contact John Lennon or go to room 012 to find help with anything they may need.

“The Youth Service Center is here to help students in anyway we can, from clothing and school supplies, to money for families to help pay bills,” says Lennon, director of the Youth Service Center. “We’re kind of a catch all; we do everything.”

This program also provides food for students in need through a food bank. These resources are available to all students in need and are easily accessed.

“The resources that get used the most are the school supplies and clothes because it’s quick and easy to access,” says Lennon. “Students can run right in and grab a note book and run back out again.”

Of course, some of the more personal resources are considered the most important resources available.

“The most important resources I think are the ones where you refer students to different agencies for mental health issues,” says Lennon.

A new program the Youth Service Center has enacted is the Application Station. Here, students have access to a computer dedicated to filling out online job applications.

“When I got my first job in 1980, and even not that long ago, everything was done on paper,” says Lennon. “But, I’ve discovered over the last few years that the vast majority of job applications are now done online.”

Additionally, the Youth Service center will be holding the college and career fair on Oct. 12. In-state as well as a few out-of-state schools will come to share information on their colleges with students, and members from local business to discus possible career opportunities.

Regardless of the needs a student may have, the Youth Service Center will provide in anyway they can, or help the students find someone who can help.

“The point I want to get across to every student is that there is help out there,” says Lennon. “If it’s not me or the Youth Service Center that’s fine, but see an adult. There’s help in the community and help right in this building.”