Board of Ed Approves Complete Construction of Athletic Complex

TOTAL CAMPUS!

The Board of Education meeting on April 17 was full of big decisions, one of which was to proceed with the construction of all components of GRC’s total campus.

Previously, construction was going to be split up into several phases, starting with the gymnasium, football/soccer field, track, and tennis courts, which are already underway.

After a 5-0 vote to adjust the plan for construction, GRC will also receive baseball and softball fields, a football practice field, and a field house. Construction is expected to begin in May.

The rest of the project is expected to cost around $9 million. Six million of this will come from the district’s general funds, while the rest will come from a local bond sale. (Local bond sales are not tax increases.)

GRC Principal David Bolen has high hopes for the new construction plan.

“We will finally be complete,” says Bolen. “We will have the total campus everyone has waited for.”

In addition to the added fields, the field house will have a large inside area for storage and team practices.

“The field house could very well be the crown jewel of the whole facility,” says Bolen. “Many teams and the marching band will benefit because they will be able to practice indoors.”

These benefits go beyond the field house, however.

Football coach Oliver Lucas, believes the total campus will affect the football team positively.

“The new facilities will have a lot of bearing on the success of the football team,” says Lucas. “We will be on par with our rivals, which will help tremendously.”

The turf field will also be a huge benefit to the team. “With the turf field, we will be able to practice in inclement weather without having to worry about tearing up the field,” says Lucas.

The proximity of the facilities is another positive aspect of the total campus.

“The new field is more conducive to what we need to do as a team,” says Lucas. “We won’t have to travel from location to location in order to use the field, weight room, and practice facility.”

With the gym, football/soccer field, tennis courts, and track under construction, and the rest of the campus on the way, there is excitement in the air within the walls of GRC.