Smoke Signals Student Media

Smoke Signals Student Media

Smoke Signals Student Media

These 10 classics are musts for your holiday song list

Graphic by Vanessa Durphy
Vanessa Durphy

Every season has their own special songs like Monster Mash in October. However Christmas is the holiday with the all time best music ever. Everyone has their own opinions on what the best holiday songs are but there can only be one top ten. Here are my top ten songs recommended for you to listen to this Christmas season.

1) Mistletoe by Justin Bieber 

Ranking number one, the song that should be on top of every person’s list. The first Christmas song I listen to every year is Mistletoe by Justin Bieber. His lyrics and beat makes even the hardest heart melt and want to dance. Bieber fever is definitely going around this Christmas season.

2) Santa Tell Me by Ariana Grande

Next up on this list is Santa Tell Me by Miss Ariana Grande ranking number 9. Her vocals and production makes this song a top contender and a close second to Mr. Bieber’s total winner. She is a lyrical genius and if that wasn’t enough, she hits every note with perfection. Nobody can argue that Ariana Grande has a beautiful voice and makes Christmas music better without a doubt.

3) Jingle Bells by Frank Sinatra 

Ranking third would have to be the classic Jingle Bells but by the one and only Frank Sinatra. Sinatra is possibly one of the best singers of all time. He transformed the music industry and made classic songs even better. His rendition of Jingle Bells has been the only version I listen to every year. Frank’s old time vocals and classic pop style gave a new light to this boring song and made it something everyone should add to their Christmas song list.

4) Wrapped In Red by Kelly Clarkson 

Ranking fourth on this list is an all-around favorite, Wrapped In Red by Ms. Clarkson. She makes every song better with her powerful vocals. She is a judge on the voice for a reason ladies and gents. Kelly’s song Wrapped In Red is one of my Christmas song classics. Her entire Christmas album is all hits but this song specifically is a chef’s kiss in the music industry.

5) You Make It Feel Like Christmas by Gwen Stefani and Blake Shelton

Next is You Make It Feel Like Christmas by Gwen Stefani and Blake Shelton. This couple decided to take Christmas music to another level with this song. When it came out it was my top song of all year. Gwen’s stunning vocals and Blake’s masculine tones mixed very well to make this love song. It made both the hooked and single people feel something. This song is definitely a must listen this Christmas season.

6) Santa Baby by Eartha Kitt 

Ranking number six on this list is a Christmas classic, Santa Baby by Eartha Kitt. Her soft, unique voice brings everyone in. Everyone and their mom knows this song. It is timeless and a crowd favorite. We’ve heard covers of this song before but none come close to the original version sung by Ms. Kitt.

7) All I Want For Christmas Is You by Mariah Carey 

Next up in seventh place is All I Want For Christmas Is You by Mariah Carey. This is one of the most listened-to Christmas songs of all time. It’s a classic Christmas song on everyone’s playlist. I used to believe it was too overplayed but nothing beats the classics. Mariah killed this song and it never gets old.

8) The Chipmunk Song by Alvin and The Chipmunks 

Ranking number eight on this list is The Chipmunk Song by you guessed it, Alvin and The Chipmunks. It is an acquired taste but who doesn’t love Alvin and the Chipmunks. The song is extremely catchy and runs through my head on a regular basis. Their voice is definitely unique and different from other artists, probably because they are chipmunks. It is definitely a Vanessa-approved Christmas song.

9) Underneath The Tree by Kelly Clarkson 

Next up in ninth place is another Kelly classic, Underneath The Tree. What can I say about Ms. Clarkson that I haven’t already. She is an amazing singer-songwriter. Her whole Christmas is amazing and a definite must listen if you haven’t already. Kelly absolutely kills every song she makes and covers. Kelly is a powerhouse — end of story.

10) Last Christmas by Wham 

Last but not least, ranking number 10 is Last Christmas by Wham. Once again another Christmas classic most everyone has listened to. It is a complete hit. One of their most popular songs, if not their most popular song. Sometimes classics are better than the newer releases and a perfect example of this is this song. This song is very unique and never gets old.

These 10 songs should be on everyone’s Christmas album this holiday season but the list goes on. We hope you have a very Merry Christmas!