Don’t miss our students in the Leeds production of ‘Singing in the Rain’

Show opens today and runs for two weekends
GRC+students+in+the+Leeds+Theater+production+of+Singing+in+the+Rain%3A%0AFront%3A+Silas+Coogle%2C+Zach+Ross%2C+Grace+Owen%2C+Charlee+Wesley%3B+back+from+left%2C+Sylvie+Coogle%2C+Caroline+Brookshire%2C+Lauren+McCraith%2C+Raegan+McCormick%2C+Destiny+Centers%2C+McKinley+Harper%2C+Trent+Conboy-Holden+%28back%29%2C+and+Josh+Muse.+
GRC students in the Leeds Theater production of “Singing in the Rain”: Front: Silas Coogle, Zach Ross, Grace Owen, Charlee Wesley; back from left, Sylvie Coogle, Caroline Brookshire, Lauren McCraith, Raegan McCormick, Destiny Centers, McKinley Harper, Trent Conboy-Holden (back), and Josh Muse.

To some, the music and choreography encapsulates their love for theater. To others, the raw emotion of both romance and comedy draws them in.

To all, Singing In The Rain is considered to be the Greatest Hollywood Film ever made. Whether you agree or disagree, it combines romance, comedy, and music for one epic show.

Luckily for the community of Winchester, Leeds Center for the Arts is putting on their own performance of Singing In The Rain. Taking place on the weekends of Nov. 10-12 and Nov. 17-19, it  will be a show to remember.

Starting out as a movie in April of 1952, Singing in the Rain opened as a musical on July 2, 1985. Choreographed and directed by Twyla Tharpe, the production as a whole was known for its renowned comedic quality. When the song, first recorded in 1929, was incorporated into a musical, audiences couldn’t get enough of the love story told through music and dancing.

It is actually a jukebox musical, which is a musical that has popular and pre-existing songs incorporated into the show. Instead of writing songs to fit the movie, it was rather a movie written to incorporate the songs. 

Several GRC students are a part of the Singing in the Rain cast: Lauren McCraith, Raegan McCormick, Destiny Centers, McKinley Harper, Trent Conboy-Holden, Caroline Brookshire, Josh Muse, Sylvie Coogle, Silas Coogle, Zach Ross, Grace Owen and Charlee Wesley.

Double casting is something Leeds has done previously in order to incorporate more people into the show by giving a role to two actors.

Zach Ross and Silas Coogle share the roles of Cosmo Brown and Ensemble cast member. 

Silas takes on the role of Cosmo Brown on nights when Zach is in the Ensemble, and vice versa. “My character is lighthearted but caring, and has lots of humor,” says Silas. “I strive to be like Cosmo.’

Zach feels a very personal connection with the role he’s portraying in the show. “Cosmo Brown is the one role I’ve always wanted to play,” he says. “I feel part of my personality actually goes with this character.”

Actors aren’t always cast with a role similar to their personality.

Grace Owen portrays the character of Lena Lamont. “I don’t think I’m the villain in life, but she’s the villain in the show,” says Grace. “I feel like she’s misunderstood. Because if you actually put yourself in her shoes, her story is kind of sad.”

Something very important about constructing a watch-worthy show is the environment formed by the cast on and off stage.

“We are all very close, and that does transfer over into our characters because we don’t have to force any kind of chemistry,” says Charlee Wesley. 

“Don’t miss the show! It’s short, sweet, and full of laughs,” says Silas.

Make sure to leave one day open in your weekend and come support your local Leeds Theatre as they perform this wonderful classic.