Principal Toy is starting out the year strong

Photo by Smoke Signals
Luke Toy is in his first year as GRC principal.
Editor’s Note: This story was first published in our print newspaper.

Former RDC assistant principal Luke Toy takes over as GRC principal this year, leading an entirely new administrative team. Editor-in-Chief Emmie Rose asked Mr. Toy some questions to help everyone get to know him better.

Q. What is the meaning behind your new phrase “Take the Lead”?

A.  On a large scale, I want to see GRC take the lead in everything we do. It’s also an individual motto – each one of us needs to take the lead in our own lives to better ourselves daily. This could mean that a student is taking the lead by completing an assignment when they don’t feel like it, or a teacher goes the extra mile at the end of a long week to provide better opportunities for their students…the list goes on!

Q. How will you develop an even better environment for our students and staff?

A. My hope for this year is that we better our structures and processes so that we protect the academic integrity of our school. School needs to be a place where all students feel at home and are able to learn. We will intentionally build relationships, set high expectations, provide positive reinforcement, remain open to feedback, and encourage one another to be our best.

Q. How do you plan on balancing administrative opinions with student voices?

A. Through communication. My experience thus far has been that through conversation we begin to understand one another. The administrative staff has an open ear to our students and our students to the administration. We all have to be able to keep an open mind to be able to work with one another to make GRC even better than it is now.

Q. What is your favorite thing that comes with being a principal?

A. Getting to genuinely know my students. The times that we can spend and sit and talk to each other about what is going on in your life individually. When I get to engage with each and every student, that’s definitely my favorite part.

Q. What are some of your ambitions outside of your career?

A. I have an awesome family. My wife is awesome. She’s phenomenal. I have a pretty good kid, but he also he hasn’t hit the teenage years yet. My ambition and my goal is to make sure that our family stays tight and to see them be successful too.

Q. What attribute sticks out most when looking at our school and community?

A. Willingness for involvement. Our students, staff and community want to be involved and that says a lot. This is what makes our admin team so invested in wanting to make everything better.

Q. What strengths do our new administrators bring to the table?

A. First and foremost the number one strength of every administrator in the building is that they have a heart to do what’s best for students. There are many gifts and talents among our administrative staff this year and they bring a wealth of experiences with them to help connect with students from all walks of life.

Q. What’s your favorite part about your new position here in Clark County?

A. Our students. They never cease to amaze me and I am honored and humbled to be a part of their education.

Q. What is something you want to implement into our school that you have seen in your past schools?

A. I would love to create more personal relationships with students. And of course that’s a harder thing to do because this is a bigger school. In the past, I was able to meet each and every student. I hope to do that, but it’s going to take me a while to do that because we have pushing 1,800 people in the building right now.

Q. What is your favorite part that comes with being a principal?

A. Getting to genuinely know my students. The times that we can spend and sit and talk to each other about what is going on in your life. individually. When I get to engage with each and every student, that’s definitely my favorite part.

Q. What are some of your favorite things to do outside of your career?

A. I play all different kinds of music, and I also love the outdoors. But other than that, I have a 10-year-old son, and that’s my favorite thing outside of here. I’ll do whatever he wants. Sometimes he wants to play Fortnite, and I hate it, but I still play it with him.

Q. What is something our student body should know about you?

A. I recently discovered Nerds clusters and they’re amazing. I need all students to know this. But in all seriousness, I’m here for you!