Seniors leading GRC Soccer as post season draws near

Soccer+Seniors
Photo submitted
Soccer Seniors

The weight of camradire has pillared the achievements of GRC soccer this fall.

At the outset of preseason, our soccer team learned their strengths and weaknesses. Team chemistry was established and remains valued.

“We have played very well together as a team and have become close to one another on and off the field,” said senior Jay Ebert. “We know how to play together in various situations with people who know how to play their positions and are good at it. We have gone over those things in practice and have done much better about it.”

As the season has progressed, the team learned to utilize each other to achieve their greatest potential.

“We learned that we need to defend set pieces better,” said sophomore Levi Ross. “We tried to force the ball through or try to force someone on the team to make a run instead of just playing to feet. we have gone over those things in practice and have done much better about it.”

Despite losing key players from previous seasons to graduation, the large senior class has stepped up to fill many leadership roles.

“The seniors have definitely stepped up this year,” said senior Clay Turley. “I think we all do a really good job at mentoring our younger players. Joby and Jay impact the defense a lot with their leadership, PK is always telling people how to get better on offense because of his experience, and both Jacob Davis and Owen teach the younger goalies everything they know. Joey and Jacob Tipton are always supporting the younger players and bringing the team morale to a high.”

This year’s leaders accredit their past mentors to the wisdom they’ve been taught during their high school soccer career.

“Past seniors have taught me to think ahead,” said senior Joby Mitmesser. “Don’t get down on a mistake you make in a game or practice because you can’t change what happened. How you respond to that mistake is what really matters. Try to make something positive happen for the team and every now and then, for yourself.”

Practices have been productive. The team has been working on a variety of specific skills including passing progressions and tactical positioning resulting in a high technical ability team wide.

“We will look to use this to our advantage in possession and will look to increase our defensive aggression both in high pressing tactically and in the physical aspects of the game,” said coach Nicholas Vogler.

This season, Cardinal soccer has dominated across the 39th district. A win against the Montgomery County Indians locked in GRC as the No. 1 seed.

“Hopefully, the win against our rivals will be a catalyst for the rest of the year,” said Vogler.

Early in the season, an abundance of injuries prohibited the team from reaching total potential. Now, players are healthy again. Upcoming challenges include facing tough competition in tournament play. However, this doesn’t stop the team from setting their sights on the season long goal of postseason triumph.

“Our biggest feat as of now is probably beating Campbell County which is one of the best teams in our region,” said Turley. “We beat them 3-1 previously and I think this gives us confidence going forward.”

GRC Soccer will use lessons they have learned this season applicable beyond athletics to fuel their fire during the battle of their season’s continuation.

“Our team feels like a brotherhood and we communicate well,” said Ross. “With this family-like team, we will make it to state.”

GRC Boys Soccer (Photo submitted)

View Comments (1)