Smoke Signals Student Media

Smoke Signals Student Media

Smoke Signals Student Media

Lauryn Hill continues powerful music influence

From Miss Lauryn Hill and New Edition to Travis Scott and Rod Wave, the music industry has changed drastically over the years. 

Miss Hill is famous for her hit song Ex-Factor and her rendition of Killing Me Softly.

Lauryn is a beautiful public figure who has an even more stunning voice. 

Hill has one of the most influential and authoritative sounds in her generation. Anyone who knows of her also loves her. 

She may be 48 years old but her voice is forever the most timeless and abiding. 

If her voice isn’t enough to make her known around the world, her lyrics impact listeners for decades and I expect to be centuries. 

Lauryn is back on tour through Nov. 9 and her fans couldn’t be happier. 

She has paved the way for many female artists such as Beyonce, Rihanna, SZA, Adele, Amy Winehouse and many others, both through her character and her music. 

Her song called Doo Wop has created standards for future hip hop and R&B artists and holds a supremacy above all other music in the industry. 

Lauryn’s work not only shaped the music industry but she was also the first rapper to appear on the cover of Time Magazine. Being the first rapper is a big deal but being the first woman of color rapper on the magazine is a huge deal. 

During the 41st Grammy Awards, she broke the record for the most nominations for a female singer and won Album of the Year. 

In 1999, Lauryn Hill won not one but four National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) image awards. It was awards and recognition like this that made her even more influential for modern artists of color.

Lauryn Hill has made history with her voice and influence and we are far beyond lucky to have lived in a generation blessed with Miss Lauryn Hill and her music.