Smoke Signals Student Media

Smoke Signals Student Media

Smoke Signals Student Media

Hanson brings tactical approach to girls soccer in first season as coach

Photo submitted
GRC Girls Soccer

If there is one thing the GRC Girls Soccer Team is known for it is making a splash in district and regional tournament play.

This season, the Lady Cardinals are put in a position to uphold their powerful reputation all while adjusting and adapting to a new coach.

Erica Hanson is midway through her first season being appointed GRCHS new women’s soccer coach. Hanson has a reputable background in coaching collegiate, high school, and high level teams all throughout America.

She got her start playing soccer in her hometown in Michigan where she continued to play division 2 soccer at Northwood University  and then later began her influential coaching career.

Coaching renowned soccer teams is not out of the ordinary for Hanson’s family as her husband Zach coaches Division 1 soccer at EKU and she is on the coaching staff at Centre College; however, she says she is enjoying working with high school girls.

“I am passionate about the game and this age group of people,” Hanson says. “You don’t get those feelings and not as many opportunities for those types of experiences in the collegiate game.”

Hanson said she plans to take the GRC team and elevate it to a level that fans have never seen before, both on and off the field, all while developing connections that are equally as important as winning games.

“Our goals for this season are to improve our playing relationships as well as relationships as people each week,” she says.

Hanson is progressively and positively changing the mindset of the girls. “We will have great results and we will have tough ones,” Hanson says. “Coming out the other side with the ability to grind the next day is a mindset we will have to have.”

Hanson’s passionate attitude and dedicated mindset is already proving to be a positive change for these athletes.

“We have a great connection with our coach and fellow teammates,” says forward Reese Patrick. She continues by expressing that the positive environment Hanson has created has made a huge impact for everyone.

Hanson’s coaching style brings lots of new perspectives to the team. Her tactical approach has proved beneficial in the past and she plans to bring her techniques to the team.

“She asks us for feedback on our playing style and lets us have input on how we play,” Patrick says.`

The Lady Cardinal Soccer Team has proven time and time again they can dominate the regular and postseason. They expect to continue this successful legacy and hope to elevate the program to make an appearance in the state tournament.

GRC has overcome the challenges of connecting with a new leader and is off to a promising start.

After losing four impactful seniors last season, the Lady Cards stand at 3-3-3 and are improving every game.

“Watching our team progress and grow every game is super exciting and we are going to ride this high into the tournament,” says Reese.