Smoke Signals Student Media

Smoke Signals Student Media

Smoke Signals Student Media

‘Marvelous musical’ Matilda opens at Leeds

Zach Ross
Phoenix Berryman, teacher John Lawwill, and Sylvie Coogle represent GRC in Leeds’ latest musical

Newts, maggots, the Trunchbull…oh my!

The beloved Roald Dahl classic has been transported to Leeds Center for the Arts for a jaw-dropping production of Matilda the Musical.

Leeds is showcasing this production for nine performances over three weekends, and continues tonight. Get details here.

With an incredible cast containing three GRC students and staff, this musical puts an exciting twist on the beloved classic.

The cast contains artists of all ages, spanning from elementary school students to adults, in order to accurately portray the premise of the story.

Matilda is a fun show for all ages,” says GRC freshman Sylvie Coogle. “It has humor that appeals to both adults and children. There’s magic, storytelling, dancing, and the energy that the actors bring to the stage, bringing the whole show together.” 

Unlike other summer shows that Leeds has produced, most of the storytelling aspect relies on the incredible children in the cast. With two separate Matildas who will alternate show nights – Harper Cecil and Avery Dore – the talent from the youth in our community is unmeasurable.

“This is probably the first summer musical we have where children actually carry the show,” says Tracey Miller, Leeds Board President. “Matilda obviously has a ton of lines and a ton of interactions. The ‘maggots,’ which are the children, also help carry the story along.”

Netflix’s adaptation of the Matilda musical has made the show more accessible to the general public, even causing several songs from the soundtrack to go viral. Revolting Children, School Song, and Smell of Rebellion are several songs that even people who aren’t as familiar with the show may know.

Even with the viral soundtrack, Leeds has managed to put their own unique twist on the show, creating an inspiring spectacle.

Coogle, a freshman, sophomore Phoenix Berryman, and drama teacher John Lawwill are all cast members representing GRC in the show.

“Being a part of Matilda at Leeds has given me the opportunity to get to know a wider group from the community than I would during a school show,” says Sylvie. “The cast is from all over central Kentucky, not just Winchester.”

Come see Matilda the Musical being performed at Leeds Center for the Arts, and be transported to a world of escapologists, maggots, and the fearful Trunchbull.