Jerone and Brianna: D1 stars of GRC

Photos by Smoke Signals

Jerone Morton, left, and Brianna Byars graduate from GRC leaving an enormous basketball legacy.

Many of GRC’s amazing athletes get offers from both D1 and D2 schools each year. Every athlete has something unique to bring to a new team.

Two of GRC’s finest in their field, Jerone Morton and Brianna Byers, agreed to give us a glimpse of their journey and future aspirations. 

Jerone is committed to Morehead State University for basketball, while Brianna is committed to the University of Cincinnati for basketball. 

Smoke Signals staff member Vanessa Durphy sat down with these top athletes recently to reflect on their time at GRC and discuss what is coming for them in the future. We share the conversation here:

Best advice received from a coach:

Jerone – “Work so hard that you outwork everybody.” 

Brianna – “My dad, who was my coach at the time, told me to never take the backseat to anybody. You can be a rookie but come in with the same mentality as a vet. Come in, do you, and make a name for yourself.” 

Coach who has had the biggest impact:

Brianna – “Coach Graham (GRC head coach Robbie Graham) has been my coach since my eighth grade year and he’s had such a big impact on me with basketball and just helping me grow as a person.” 

Jerone – “There are two — my first-ever coach, Carl Walker. He introduced me to the sport and taught me how to perfect my skills and learn the sport. Then it would obviously be Coach Cook (GRC head coach Josh Cook) because he has taught me how to become a leader and lead my team.” 

Teammate I will miss most:

Jerone – “I’m going to miss all of them for real, but I’m probably going to miss Reshaun the most. He is my dog for real; off the court we are just real. It’s good to have somebody to talk to who goes through the same stuff. Outside of basketball he’s just a really good friend.” 

Brianna – “If I had to pick one it would have to be Ciara but that’s just being biased because she’s my sister. But all the girls give something different so I will miss everybody.”

Biggest change since my freshman year:

Brianna – “Physically there has always been a change because I’ve constantly been lifting weights and conditioning but mentally I would say the shift from being a halfway leader to becoming the all-time leader on and off the court for the girls.”

Jerone – “I have matured a lot more, and obviously I’ve grown and gotten a lot stronger, but I’d say my mind. My mind has changed a lot since freshman year on how I think about basketball and everything else.” 

Favorite memory in GRC sports:

Jerone – “Definitely winning state last year, and making it to state this year. Even though we lost it was still an amazing experience. I’d also say the time I caught my first body (when you dunk on someone) and the dunk this year at Rupp.” 

Brianna – “I would probably have to say during my freshman year when I got to play at Rupp. You don’t realize how big of a deal it is but I was coming from a school that barely made it to regionals so it was just a big difference.” 

How basketball has impacted my personal life:

Brianna – “Communication. If you can communicate x, y, and z with the players, then communicating with someone in the hallway or any encounter throughout the day becomes easier. I believe it is a strong aspect of life that a lot of people disregard.” 

Jerone – “Be patient with people. Everybody is different, and you have to learn how to adapt to everyone.” 

What I look forward to most in college:

Jerone – “Just going against good competition and I’m going to be honest, I don’t like meeting new people but I’m excited for the competitive part of it and becoming the best player I can be.” 

Brianna – “I would say just about everything, not so much living on my own but I’m excited for the experiences and just to be a part of a school that has a purpose.” 

One piece of advice I have for incoming freshmen going into my sport:

Brianna – “Don’t come in with the mindset of – Oh they’re older than me, bigger than me, or stronger than me. You are one injury away from being the next man up so when your number is called, just be ready.” 

Jerone – “Don’t let anyone outwork you, stay humble, work hard, and be coachable. And don’t forget to keep God first.” 

How success in the state tournaments will help me be a better college basketball player:

Jerone – “Now knowing what the environment will be like, I will know how to adapt to those newer environments in college.” 

Brianna – “The atmosphere definitely will help. The lights, the court, the length, the supporters and fans. It was a big fan base whether they were for you or against you. There were a lot of people at every game. So I would definitely say seeing the difference in the atmosphere will help.”

Qualities I bring to my new team:

Brianna – “Versatility and I’m strong minded so I’m the type to just get things done without complaining. I feel like if I could have that effect on myself, then I can also affect at least two or three who are coming in with me.”

Jerone – “I’m bringing a great teammate, a teammate who is not going to give up, a teammate who is going to play hard all of the time. You’re getting a leader, somebody who can get some buckets, somebody who can do it all. You’re gonna get somebody who wants to win but most of all you’re just getting a really good teammate and that’s all that really matters.” 

What I will miss most about my GRC team: 

Jerone – “Probably the locker room talks after practice, the bus rides home after games, and really just being around the team and just laughing.”

Brianna – “I would say any of the bus rides, or when it was tournament time and we’d walk the schools. I would definitely miss Smoke Signals and their hype videos. But with the team it would probably be just everything, because we’ve been through a lot this past year without a lot of people knowing. We had a rough year but it just made us better in the end.” 

One regret I have after all my years of playing GRC basketball:

Jerone – “I would say I would go back and play with more confidence in my freshman and sophomore years. I played with confidence then but it wasn’t like how I play now.”

Brianna – “You live and you learn. You have to go through certain things in order to learn from them and that’s what made me who I am so I wouldn’t change anything.” 

My best quality:

Brianna – “Off the floor I’m very easy to get along with. I don’t even have to know you but I could chop it up with you like we’ve known each other for years. But on the floor I would say leadership. I’m very vocal and I’m not shy about anything.” 

Jerone – “In basketball my best quality would be defense and scoring. I am good at and like to play defense, but scoring excites me a lot more for real. Personality wise my best quality would be that I feel like I’m really easy to talk to. I can talk to anybody. If someone is having a bad day I feel like I could make their day better just by talking to them. I just feel like I can get along with anybody.” 

We have had the pleasure of watching two amazing high school basketball superstars find their way and their passions.

To you, Jerone Morton and Brianna Byars, we wish you nothing but the best and we are excited to watch you on the big screen.