Six reasons to get out and support spring sports

Claire Ginter enjoys a recent baseball game. (Photo by Allie Randall)

Now that spring has finally sprung, the sports of the season are in full swing. Spring sports are a great way to end the school year on a positive note. Getting involved in spring sports is simply the best, and here’s why…

It keeps you interested in school activities. As the school year draws to a close, it gets harder and harder to stay motivated and come to school everyday. Spring sports give students a reason to come to school and root for our GRC sports teams. 

It provides a place to see friends outside of school. Many students don’t have classes with all of their friends, and sometimes it is hard to find time outside of school to hang out with your favorite people. Spring sports offer a vessel for students to come together and have a good time. It is a way for students to hangout cost-free. 

Spring sports get you outside. Outdoor sports are the perfect opportunity to revel in the blossoming spring weather. While there are still some cold and rainy days, it only makes us that much more thankful when the sun decides to come out. There is nothing like the feeling of watching one of your favorite sports on a gorgeous spring day. 

It provides an opportunity to interact with the community. Whether it is your best friend’s mom or someone who went to school with your parents a million years ago, sports encourage interaction. Everyone at a sporting event has something in common, which makes it incredibly easy to engage in conversation with a stranger. One of the best things about Winchester is how everyone is connected, so talking to someone new is almost a requirement of attending a sports game. 

It could be a learning opportunity. Not everyone is a sports expert. Many supporters are just people that enjoy a sport. But at every game there is someone to answer any question you have about a sport or team. Want to know what just happened on the baseball field? There is a 99% chance that the man sitting next to you yelling at his son to run faster does. There will always be someone dying to explain every detail to you. But you won’t know until you ask. 

It is a great way to support student athletes. There is nothing worse than getting ready to play your sport and looking into the audience and there is nothing but tumbleweeds. Athletes want support and an adoring audience. Not only are you supporting teams by cheering in the bleachers, the money you spent at the concession stand or buying your entry ticket will surely help the team in some way. 

So next time you see there there is a game, meet, or match, try to come out and support! There is no harm in spending a few hours cheering on some students just doing what they love. The bottom line is, spring sports rock.