Front desk phenoms: Mrs. Watts and Mrs. Dunn

Photo by Bryce Houchens

Rita Watts and Whitney Dunn hold down the fort in GRC’s front office.

A hard worker knows how to stay calm under pressure, all while keeping a smile on their face.

Front desk secretaries Rita Watts and Whitney Dunn are true, living examples of this.

Through the smooth and chaotic times, these women go extremely unrecognized when it comes to the work they do for this school’s staff, students, and community.

They represent GRC like no other by always being gracious to others. Students and families always feel at home when they walk through the front doors.

“People don’t realize that you’re the first person they see when they walk in, so you always have to be smiling and cheerful,” says Mrs.Watts. “When people walk into the school you want to make sure the first thing they have is a positive impression.”

Not only do Mrs. Watts and Mrs. Dunn do their job happily, they also love meeting students throughout the day. These women invest into the students’ lives on a daily basis.

“I love meeting the kids and finding out their personalities,” says Mrs. Dunn. “GRC has such mature, smart kids, and I know they will be such a great asset to the community as they grow up.”

A majority of people don’t see all of the work that goes into being a high school secretary. The amount of patience and flexibility these two women have are like no other.

“A lot of people don’t realize that this is a job that requires a lot of multitasking,” says Mrs. Watts. “At times you can have 10 people in front of you, while you’re also having to answer the phone and take a tardy; it’s just a lot going on at the same time. This is a two-person job; it is so difficult with just one person to do all of this. It has to be teamwork.”

These ladies exhibit their love for this school every day by all of the hard work they put into it. Their love for the staff and students is displayed through their constant reliability and optimism.

“I feel like we’ve got a really good atmosphere at this school,” said Mrs. Dunn. “Teachers and all of the administrators work really closely, which is nice. We all have each others’ back, which is really nice. GRC is just a great place to be. We have  really good kids and staff. Even though some days are really hectic here, I love my job.”