Say ‘No’ to NTI

Eli Roach, Multimedia Staff

Eli Roach

Snow Days.

I think everyone can agree that the feeling of waking up in the morning, checking your phone, and seeing the words “NO SCHOOL” or “SNOW DAY” is one of the best ways to start the day. 

Snow days are almost therapeutic, giving you a day to relax and slow down from the hectic rush of the normal school day. 

Genuine snow days were a time to spend with your family and friends, without having the stress of schoolwork to hinder it. NTI days prevent the connections you have with other people on snow days; not allowing you to go sledding, get hot chocolate, or any other traditions you may have had with other people. 

We should not overlook the privilege of a snow day, as a break day from school is helpful, sometimes necessary. 

These peaceful days of stress relief have recently been snatched up by the newly enforced NTI days. 

NTI days are normally seen as helpful, some saying they preserve the summer, but in reality they just bombard students with more work. 

They take the chance for students to catch up on the work they previously missed, and give them more they have to do. 

Besides, some students don’t expect to have work on a snow day, so they don’t see it, or they just don’t want to do it. This just makes the student even further behind than they already were. 

Furthermore, Clark County only receives 9 inches of snow a year on average, so on the rare occasion that we have snow, we should be able to get the chance to enjoy it. 

Clark County had gone years without having NTI days, and we were just fine taking a day or two away from summer. The recent change to NTI has done nothing but make the school year more stressful for the students who can’t get a break.