New GRC program helps students with post high school life

A large crowd turned out for the Chamber of Commerce ribbon cutting for the JAG program at GRC.

Decisions and the pressure for what to do after you graduate high school is overwhelming, and many students are swept under with all the stress.

Luckily, the Jobs for America’s Graduates (JAG) program offers a lifeline to drowning students. 

A program proven to be revolutionary for high school students nationally, JAG teaches students about careers, employability skills, and life skills.

They have numerous guest speakers who discuss various careers and they go on several field trips that allow students to explore as many careers as possible so they can make informed decisions about their future.

On Oct. 28, a ribbon cutting ceremony was conducted to recognize the program at GRC, and the first year of it being in place. Business leaders, teachers, and involved community members all gathered to witness the ceremony, organized by the Winchester-Clark County Chamber of Commerce. 

Sophomore Jonah Doss was elected as the president of JAG, and he’s honored to take the position, as he’s seen improvement in himself and others, even if it’s his first few weeks in the program. 

“I’ve only had it for about five weeks now, but it’s been amazing,” Doss explains. “My grades have improved, I’ve gained more friends, it’s shaped me as a person for the short timespan I’ve had it, and it’s just an amazing program.”

Senior Raul Rodriguez is JAG’s vice president, and he’s excited for the many opportunities the program has, and how they will be involved in many upcoming events.

“This year, we are planning field trips to discover more careers around our community, we’re gonna do more community service, and we will study more about financial literacy,” Rodriguez says. “That’s what we’re expecting, and we hope to keep adding to the program as time goes on.”

JAG continues to grow in numbers and prestige as it comes alongside young people to help them reach economic and academic success.

“Through JAG, students can find the path which works best for them,” says George Stafford, director for JAG Kentucky. “Whether that path is college, trade school, workforce or military, each student needs to celebrate his/her choice and be recognized for it.”

The JAG class is available to all students, although it cannot have more than 65 enrolled. An advisory committee of counselors and principals helps place students into the class, but any interested students can go to Mr. Stults’ room, 526.

James Stults is GRC’s JAG specialist and teacher, and he has already seen tremendous growth with his JAG students. 

“The students have grown tremendously in just the seven weeks that I’ve had them in class,” he says. “I can see their confidence building, and I see them growing in maturity. I want to believe they are making progress by the activities that we are doing in class.”

With this program starting to expand as they move forward, community support should continue to better benefit this organization, helping students and their futures.

“I am very excited to see our George Rogers Clark High School JAG students making a huge impact in Winchester and the surrounding area,” says Stafford. “I encourage this community to support Mr. Keene, Mr. Stults, and their JAG students.”