Make a difference: Nominate your difference maker

Nominations are due Oct. 28. Pick one up from your Flight Time teacher or Ms. Rector.

School staff members can often make true and meaningful connections with their students, making teaching more than a simple job and instead crafting a worthwhile lifestyle to use their platform to influence others.

Many students, however, often don’t realize the impact a teacher or school staff member has had on their lives until later in their education.

Last year, Principal Keene decided to give seniors a chance to formally thank those who helped them, and the event is back this year.

“GRC Difference Makers” is a special dinner where seniors devote a night to staff members who have influenced their lives for the better. At the dinner, students read a letter they’ll write to their selected difference maker, or have someone else read it if they aren’t comfortable reading aloud.

“I spoke to a teacher at North Laurel High School, and they do something very similar so she was able to send me things they do, and I also had my ideas,” says principal and leader of the difference makers, Jamie Keene. “I was able to take it and tailor it to do what I wanted to see at GRC. I wanted to do something, and coming into contact with that teacher at another school  was a good networking opportunity to bounce some ideas off each other.”

Last year’s inaugural event was incredibly worthwhile to both students and staff members. 

“It’s a really good time for them to reunite, and a lot of times people don’t even realize they made such a positive impact in the life of kids, so it’s great for them to get that feedback and hear just how big of a difference they made,” Keene recalls the connections he saw of students and staff being reunited. “It’s emotional when some of them tell their stories. So, there’s definitely a vulnerability, but it’s just a way to give back to those who may or may not have known they made such a difference in their life.” 

Many reunions were accompanied with heartfelt stories, as many students were dealing with illnesses or struggles, but teachers showing simple acts of kindness heavily impacted their lives. 

Staff may have not even realized what they’ve done, and this dinner lets students thank them for something that may have happened several years ago. 

Seeing such important connections and memories being shared shows how truly remarkable this new GRC tradition can be. 

“When I started here last year as the principal, one of my focuses was building positive relationships and letting staff and students know that we care about them,” Keene said. “I think that’s just the number one above all else. Our teachers make impacts in lives, and it’s time to give back to them and just let them know how appreciated they are.”

One night reuniting with someone who has made your academic career and simultaneously your life better can be revolutionary for both parties.

GRC’s own Mr. Andrews was one of the lucky staff members honored last spring. From a teacher’s perspective, he confirms the event is worth attending.

“Going to the Difference Makers dinner was an awesome experience that I think every teacher should be inspired to be a part of,” Andrews says. “The best thing I can say is keep doing what you do best and keep loving your students.”

If you’re a senior, see your flight time teacher for forms to fill out about your difference maker, and then turn them in to Ms. Rector in Room 509 by October 28th. 

The dinner will not be until spring, but this gives time to find the staff members and let them know they’ve been nominated. 

Underclassmen can look forward to this event their senior year, and can get a head start on choosing who has made an impact on them. 

Capitalize on this opportunity to highlight someone who has impacted you for years to come, for a night neither of you will forget.