Getting to know our new school nurse – Sarah Howard

Photo by Smoke Signals

GRC School Nurse Sarah Howard

GRC’s new school nurse was inspired by her own high school nurse and now she’s passing along the same commitment here.

It’s paying off with the students who find Sarah Howard to be helpful and welcoming.

Mrs. Howard is in her fourth with Clark County Schools. Smoke Signals asked Mrs. Howard some questions about her new role.

My years in the school system:

This is year 3 with CCPS. My first 2 were at Clark County Preschool and Phoenix Academy.

My nursing credentials:

BSN-RN with an extensive background in Emergency, Critical and Pediatric Critical Care units.

Why I am excited to work at GRC:

I am excited to become like the nurse I had in high school. She was so supportive of her students and I felt like I could go to her for anything. I want the students of GRC to know that they have someone in their corner for their physical and mental health.

What I like most about my job:

Being a strong advocate for the students and their well-being. I also love meeting the students and getting to know them on a personal level.

Two things students need to know about me:

My door is almost always open; meaning I will see anyone needing to see me within a reasonable timeframe. Fun fact: I am also a big Harry Potter nerd!

What students need to know about the nurse’s office and how it works:

Please request to see me through your teacher. I have to control the traffic in my office because it can get crazy in a building of 1600 students. Do not drop in between classes, you will likely be sent back to class to get a note. You have to have filled out and turned in your health consent form to be able to see the nurse and receive an evaluation to go home or return to class.