The End of an Era: Brady’s reign finally comes to an end 

After playing 22 seasons in the NFL, Tom Brady has retired from football. 

Arguably one of the greatest athletes to ever play and the greatest quarterback to ever play in the NFL, Brady has pretty much broken every all-time quarterback record.

He finished his last season leading the league in passing yards and passing touchdowns. He also holds the all time passing yards and the all time passing touchdown records. 

You would think that someone with so much success would have been a top pick in a draft class. Brady though, was taken in the sixth round and 199th by the New England Patriots.

He was the seventh quarterback taken out of 12 and all those teams that passed on him made the biggest mistake in their organization’s history.

Tom Brady started his career in San Mateo, California, at Junipero Serra High School. He actually played baseball as a first baseman before moving to catcher for his senior season.

He was an incredible athlete with amazing arm strength that many people thought would make him a pro baseball player, but he was already committed to play football at the University of Michigan so it hurt his chances in the MLB.

Even still, coming out of high school, Brady was drafted in the 18th round by the Expos to play catcher. His ultimate love was football so he forwent his chance to play in the Major Leagues and went on to play football at Michigan.

Brady played four years at Michigan but was a backup his freshman and sophomore seasons. He backed up Brian Griese in 1997 who won the Michigan program a National Championship that year. 

In 98’ Brady was announced the starter and threw for 2,427 yards and 14 touchdowns. Drew Henson was the backup that year and did play many games even though he didn’t start.

Henson was a highly rated quarterback that year and drew lots of attention in his time on the field. Going into Brady’s senior season, the plan was to split Brady and Henson’s playing time, and whomever was playing better would finish the game. 

The Wolverines started 5-0 and both quarterbacks were playing well. Brady’s time came when Michigan was trailing by 17 to Michigan State in East Lansing and Brady took over, nearly leading the Wolverines to a comeback win. 

After his stellar performance in the fourth quarter Brady became the guy the rest of the season. He started the last five games and never lost. He led Michigan back from multiple deficit games and went on to win the 2000 Orange Bowl against Alabama. 

Brady was one of the best college quarterbacks that year but got no respect on the draft boards. 

Brady backed up Patriots starting quarterback Drew Bledsoe in 2000, but the next season Brady got his opportunity. In week two of the 2001 NFL season the Patriots were playing the New York Jets.

Jets linebacker Mo Lewis put a hit on Bledsoe that would sideline him and give Brady his chance to prove he could make it in the National Football League. 

Brady made his first start in New England in week three versus Peyton Manning and the Colts where he came away with a 44-13 victory and as they say the rest was history.

Brady spent 20 seasons with the Patriots where he played in nine Super Bowls and won six. He started 324 games and was a Super Bowl MVP 4 times. Brady was 219-64 in the regular season and 30-11 in the playoffs at New England. 

Then, in March of 2020, Brady left the Patriots to join coach Bruce Arians and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. After he beat the Patriots, he became one of four quarterbacks who have beaten all 32 NFL teams in their career. 

Brady couldn’t get another Super Bowl ring in 2020 but in his second year at Tampa he won his seventh Super Bowl title and fifth Super Bowl MVP. 

Tom Brady, who many can call the greatest quarterback to ever play the game, holds more than 10 different all time records in the National Football League. A man who defied all the odds, becoming who he is today after being drafted in the late sixth round. The future Hall of Fame member has decided to hang it up after 22 seasons.

The game is changing with so many new and talented young quarterbacks.

Tom Brady’s legacy has had a major impact on the game and whether you like him or not, the game just won’t be the same without him.