FFA spreads holiday cheer by helping Winchester families in need

Lauren Brinegar, Photo Editor

George Burns said it best when he said, “When you stop giving and offering something to the world, it’s time to turn out the lights.”

Every November our local Clark County FFA chapter is leaving a light on for the community by donating Thanksgiving baskets to those in need.

Each year the chapter receives monetary donations from Kentucky Farm Bureau, DSM Nutritional group, Youth Services, Clark County FFA Alumni, Clark County School Nutrition Department and other private donations.

These donations are used to purchase items and fill food baskets for those who otherwise wouldn’t have a Thanksgiving meal.

Last year, almost 100 baskets were made and delivered to families within the community.

Any leftover food and baskets are donated to the Beacon of Hope, the local homeless shelter.

Planning for this annual charitable event starts in early October. The baskets are assembled a few days prior to and delivered on the Wednesday morning before thanksgiving Thursday.

On that Wednesday morning, FFA members and other local volunteers meet at the GRC Ag department and load baskets for delivery.

“Volunteering for the Thanksgiving day basket program has served as a true eye opener,” FFA Vice President Maddy Williams. “You never truly understand the situation of so many of  those around you until you see the reality for yourself.”

Last year there were 55- plus volunteers from Beta Club, FFA and within the community that helped deliver the baskets.

Delivering baskets is a very rewarding experience. “It has taught me to be thankful for what I have and is a very humbling experience,” says Chase Taulbee, FFA Treasurer’s Assistant.

This is truly a great way for youth to give back. The tradition of the baskets is one that will continue for many years to come and has a positive impact on our community.

Learning to do, doing to learn, earning to live and living to serve is the FFA motto. The FFA will leave the light on for you.