Smoke Signals Student Media

Smoke Signals Student Media

Smoke Signals Student Media

Charlie Castle: A ‘Chuck’ of all trades

Charlie+Castle
Photo submitted
Charlie Castle

From running to shooting to showing sheep, Charlie Castle does it all.

Since age nine, Castle has not seen a dull day. With a plethora of different activities and involvements, Charlie has always found something to busy himself.

“I started trap-shooting a little over nine years ago.” says Castle “Out of everything I do it’s probably my favorite. It’s the one I’m best at.”

Charlie took home 4th place overall at 4-H trap-shooting nationals in 2022. Castle also led the team to a 6th place finish in the teams first time ever competing at the event.

“Trap shooting has helped me build my focus as well as my commitment,” he says. “It has helped me with my work ethic both inside and outside of the sport.”

Castle is also a four-year varsity runner for both the cross country and track teams.

“My favorite memory in running,” he recalls, “has been going under the five-minute mark in the mile at the region meet.”

Charlie recently just went under five minutes again, clocking a new lifetime best of 4:56. Charlie joins elite company as one of the 15 runners to achieve this mark in school history, and also one of six guys to hit the mark this year.

Outside of competition, Charlie also has his hands full. He took up the role of Chaplain for GRC’s chapter of the FFA this past year.

“I’ve been involved with FFA since my sophomore year,” says Castle. “I love agriculture because I grew up on a farm. FFA was just a natural fit. I’ve loved being a part of such a great program that has an impact on the whole school.”

Outside of everything else going on, you may see Charlie around town doing one of his many hobbies.

Whether he’s golfing, hanging out with some friends, or even showing sheep. Charlie knows no comfort zone. If you put a challenge in front of him, he is sure to take it on with no fear.

Charlie, left, serves along with Cole Horn at an FFA luncheon.