Winterguard completes outstanding season

GRC Varsity Winterguard performs its show, Words from the Heart. The guard finished 6th at Tri-State Championships in the most competitive class.

In a world of black in white, artistic creativity brings the splash of color we need. To continue a life lived in technicolor, it is vital to nourish the arts and continue the legacy of inspiration. At GRC this legacy is carried on through the Winterguard team.

The Winterguard season has recently come to an end after an intense competition season. The GRC Winterguard is an indoor performing arts team that combines elements of colorguard with dance. Each year the program creates a show filled with design, themes, and emotion.

This year the Winterguard debuted their show “Words from the Heart.”

“It’s the idea of being in love with somebody and not being able to be with them,” says Coach Emily Cook. “So whatever that means to those students to their walk in life. It’s kind of a big love story.”

This ballad came with the softer side of dancing, and gave the team a chance to showcase their artistic abilities.

With the formation of a beautiful production comes practices. Day after day the members and coaches commit themselves for hours to Winterguard, and from that they reap the rewards of hard work and dedication.

Having such close and supportive relationships within the team is what raises the level of success for the Winterguard. In order to work together and create a cohesive performance, it requires the ability to communicate and encourage, and for the GRC team that is an easy feat.

“As a team, I think the biggest strength that we currently have is that not only are they teammates, but they’re all friends,” explains Coach Cook. “I do feel like they are all friends first and foremost, and I feel like they all have each other’s backs. And if somebody’s going through something, they all want to talk about it. They all want to know what’s going on because they genuinely care. This is like second home to them.”

This second home has also been a source of growth for strength and improvement for its members.

Year after year, the sheer commitment to the art of dancing has created a new world of achievement. And this season was no exception as the team competed in the highest classification in the state.

“People come and go but being able to see the progression from the beginning to the end for the kids is really special, and last year, we even attended Winter Guard International events,” Cook says. “A lot of them are the same kids that we’ve had from the beginning, but it’s been really cool to see them constantly be proud of their successes. Even if it’s not winning a first place medal, it’s the hard work that I’m proud of.”

In a school environment, the arts can be lost in the excitement of our triumphant sports teams. However it is vital to acknowledge the sheer amount of dedication and beauty produced by GRC’s artistic outlets, like Winterguard.

This dedication is what keeps the legacy of creativity alive, and Winterguard is leading the pack with their production of “Words from the Heart.”

“Winter guard has had such a positive effect on my high school experience,” says Lucy Kinney. “And since I have done it since freshman year it’s all that I have known. It gives you a safe place when school gets hard The after-school practices make you forget about your day because you are so focused about what’s happening in the moment.”

As the Winterguard season came to a close, success is celebrated.  At the Tri-State Championships, the JV Winterguard earned first place in the Scholastic Regional A-2 Blue Round, and the Varsity team was awarded 6th place after competing in the highest competition class in the state.

“My advice is to try Winterguard if you have any interest at all and to not give up on the hard days,” says Lilly Ballard. “When I first joined, I had no clue what Winterguard was. There were a lot of hard days where I felt like giving up, but I pushed through those days by telling myself that I could do it. If I had never joined or pushed through the hard days then I wouldn’t be the person I am four years later.”