‘It’s in my blood’: Super fans love Clark County basketball

Photo by Smoke Signals
The Cardinal Faithful cheer on GRC Hoops in the 40th District championship at GRC Arena. Many fans come to every game, both boys and girls.

“Welcome to GRC Arena, Who’s ready for some basketball action?” A common phrase heard before every home basketball game, but who is he talking to?

The support for GRC Basketball is nothing short of amazing — the cheerleaders, the band, but let’s not forget the fans.

GRC fans are some of the most supportive and devoted fans in the state, maybe even the nation. But can you blame us?

It’s no secret that both of our basketball teams are exceptionally talented. Their hard work and dedication throughout the season is undeniable and incredibly impressive.

Generations of families have been showing up and showing out for GRC Basketball since the beginning.

“It’s in my blood, I grew up a part of Clark County Basketball and raised my children in it too,”  GRC graduate and super fan Amy Taylor says. “It’s a family tradition.”

Mike and Cathy Bordas are husband and wife who have been attending games since 1969.

“It’s nice to be able to cheer for a competitive team with two really great coaches,” says Mike. “We love to see our young student athletes succeed.”

Their daughter, Ashley Smith says, “It’s a great sense of community and I’m an avid sports fan and alumni.”

Though our GRC players are teenagers, their fans vary in age. Former Mayor Ed Burtner and long-term GRC fan Jerry Cecil both have been attending the games for over 40 years.

“I think it’s the best entertainment dollar in town,” says Mr. Burtner. “I think the games have always been competitive.”

Mr. Cecil adds, “I enjoy supporting the community and supporting the kids. The kids are always changing, but they need to know that adults care about what they do.”

The adults in our community find it extremely important to support our high school athletes every year, even when players graduate.

“I know how important it is for our young people to feel supported,” hardcore fan and GRC alum Heather Penichet said. “I am a firm believer that behind every winning team is a strong support system.”

Penichet has been attending games since she was 12 years of age and was coached by Mr. Burtner.

“He encouraged us to watch the games at the high school,” Mrs. Penichet says.

The GRC Basketball program is known for being one of the best in the state. From the players to the coaches, and our outstanding facilities, everyone and everything involved is top notch.

“Sports and competition in Clark County, regardless of the sport, has always set the standard, whether you’re talking about competition in the 10th Region or competition on a statewide basis,” says Mr. Burtner. “Clark County sports are some of the very best sports that are played in the Commonwealth.”

After so many years of success, GRC fans become friends with each other and then a family that surrounds our players with love and support no matter the outcome.

So if you ever want to see what all the buzz is about, head on out to a GRC girls or boys basketball game — it’s now tournament time.

GO CARDS!!

Amy Taylor

Cathy and Mike Bordas

Ashley Smith

Ed Burtner

Jerry Cecil

Heather Penichet