Club, High School Soccer Offer Many Benefits

Best of Both Worlds

Back to Article
Back to Article

Kathryn Gallenstein with possession of the ball.

Spencer McCord, Staff Writer

The girls’ soccer team is off to a great start in going 10-2-2 through its first 14 games.

A lot of the girls soccer players play outside of high school on club teams.

Playing on a club team opens up some opportunities that you can’t get from only playing high school soccer.

“In club you get to play with different people from different schools and get to travel to different places,” says senior Darby Manning.

She adds that playing year round helps improve your skills. Sophomore Brooklyn Johnson says, “It keeps me in shape and keeps me in the right mindset to play high school.”

But with this said, high school soccer also has its own set of perks.

“You get to form a closer relationship with your teammates because you spend every day together and see each other at school,” says Manning. “Most of the time this leads to a better performance on the field.”

Johnson agrees. “It’s fun getting to play with people that will always have your back,” she says.

“This year I even get to play with my younger sister,” says Manning. Darby’s sister, Delaney, a freshman, is getting a chance to play alongside her sister for Darby’s senior year.

The girls all agree that more experience on the playing field whether it be on a club team or for the high school, helps to become a better soccer player.

When Smoke Signals went to press, the girls had five remaining games, including Montgomery County Sept. 28.