Doyle Uses Baking Skills to Motivate Students

Rewards are Sweet When it’s a Tasty Treat

Veronica Flack

Mrs. Doyle poses with her scrumptious treats.

Everyone knows that teachers who make learning fun are the best kind. Maggie Doyle, who teaches Algebra 2 and Dual Credit Statistics, falls into this category.

When it comes to George Rogers Clark, Doyle has a long history. This is her 13th year teaching at GRC after graduating high school in 2001. “I now work alongside several teachers I had when I was in high school,” says Doyle.

After earning a degree and teaching certificate from Georgetown College, Doyle was offered a teaching job at GRC. She declined it at first because she wasn’t sure if teaching was what she wanted to do.

However, she accepted a second offer from GRC after Mrs. Fraley told her that she should take the job.

Although Doyle had not always planned on being a teacher, it is clear that she enjoys her profession. “I love when my students make me proud of them,” she says. “Sometimes that has to do with mathematics, but more often that has to do with their character.”

In addition to her love for teaching, Doyle has another passion that she actually incorporates into her job –baking. “I have loved to bake for as long as I can remember,” she says. “Full disclosure… it was probably related to the fact that I REALLY love to eat.”

Doyle found that making tasty treats and using them to reward students for completing assignments first was a way to motivate them to work hard. “I hope that when my students receive a brownie it makes them happy,” she says. “I hope they realize that I spent my time making something just for them.

I think the greatest gift you can give someone is your time. When you give your time, you are giving a portion of your life that you will never get back.”

Doyle spends a large quantity of her time at home baking goods to bring in for her classes and colleagues.She uses her close connection with these people to motivate her to fulfill her promises to them when she’s tired.

“There is a certain level of comfort to be found in the rituals of the kitchen,” says Doyle. “So sometimes, having to focus on the process helps me put everything else to the side for a while.”

When it comes to Doyle’s dedication to both teaching and baking, she hopes it builds a connection between herself and her students. “Baking for them helps me get to know my students and, I hope, expresses how important they are to me.”