Experienced Girls Look to Return to State Tournament

Kennedy Igo, 10th, was last season's leader in scoring, assists, steals, and 3-point percentage.

Savannah Anderson, Sports Editor

16 teams. 5 days. 1 arena. 1 champion.

The KHSAA Basketball Sweet 16 is arguably the most exciting time in high school sports.

Over the past four seasons, the GRC girls’ team has made it to this memorable event twice, which is something that is very difficult to accomplish.

Unfortunately, the girls came up short both years. In fact, no girls’ basketball team at GRC has ever won the State Championship since the program’s start in 1975.

Last year’s team had definite potential to make it to the championship game but suffered a heartbreaking end to their season in the Elite Eight of the State Tournament.

With four of five starters from last year returning and a very strong junior class, the girls’ team has the capacity to be even more successful than last year for years to come.

Coach Robbie Graham has led the team to both of their past two State appearances and is approaching his sixth season as head coach.

“We bring back a lot of talent and are hoping to build on last season’s success,” Graham said. “We have a loaded schedule that will hopefully prepare us for a very tough post season.”

Catch the Lady Cards back in action this season as they take on their “loaded schedule” and get back on the road to State.

About the Writer
Savannah Anderson, Editor-In-Chief

Savannah Anderson is a Senior and second-year Smoke Signals member. Her favorite animal is a giraffe, her favorite movie is Breakfast at Tiffany’s, and she is a camp counselor at Wesley Woods Church Camp.