Clubs Around GRC

INVOLVEMENT Starts With You…

The high school experience isn’t just about the classroom. GRC offers endless opportunities outside athletics to get involved.
The benefits of getting involved in a club or organization go way beyond the proverbial college application. It connects you to your school and helps you build community by finding new friends with similar interests. It allows you to develop and even discover your gifts and talents. It grows your leadership skills. GRC’s extracurriculars offer everything from political activism to community service to environmental awareness. Make your high school experience the best it can be and don’t delay in getting involved.

* BETA CLUB

Open to Grades 10-12 with a GPA of 3.25 or above, BETA is a nationally recognized service organization which offers membership to future leaders and innovators. Members must attend 7 or more meetings and perform 10 or more service hours to be a member in good standing and be inducted at the end of the year.

Dues are $20 for new members and $10 for past members.

We meet before school in the Media Center on even numbered Fridays, and we have a newsletter (Stop and Go) for the odd-numbered Fridays.

Sponsor: Connie Cobb

*CARDINAL NETS

The purpose of this club is to raise money and awareness for an organization called 24,000 (based in Lexington) that provides
orphanages with mosquito nets to prevent the spread of Malaria.

Proposed activities: multiple fundraising events such as chocolate bar sales, bracelet sales and bake sales.

Meeting time: Twice a month (typically Tuesday).

Dues: $10

Sponsor: Amy Walker

*CLARK COUNTY FFA

FFA makes a positive difference in the lives of students by promoting premier leadership, personal growth and career success.

This club works with agricultural-based activities, such as farming and animal-science. There are over 100 members in Clark County alone.

Proposed activities: Back to School Cook-Out, Bluegrass Leadership Conference, National FFA Convention, North American Rodeo, Snow Tubing, and Bowling.

Dues: $20 (includes an FFA T-Shirt). Students can join if they are in an agriculture class and pay dues.

Sponsor: Terra Pigg

*FCCLA – Family Career Community Leaders of America

The FCCLA builds leadership skills and helps students to grow as members of the community through Family and Consumer Sciences education.

Proposed activities: various community service projects, Fall and Spring Regional meeting, Annual Pictures with Santa.

Meeting time: dates and times will vary.

Dues: $20 (includes local, state and national dues and a club T-shirt) To join, see Ms. Stoneking (Room 131).

Sponsor: Susan Stoneking

*GRC FOOD BANK

This club provides food and resources to those in need in our community by operating as a food bank for GRC students and their families.

Meeting time: before and after school.

To join, contact Mr. Foudray (512), Mrs. Sosby (508), or Mr. Lennon (main office).

Sponsor: Brian Foudray

*GREEN CLUB

Promoting environmental sustainability by operating a school-wide recycling program.

Meeting time: before school.

Dues: none.

To join, contact Mr. Foudray (Room 512).

Sponsor: Brian Foudray

*GSA – Gay/Straight Alliance

GSA’s puprose is to promote tolerance and fairness for all. Proposed activities: club breakfasts, after-school activities, charity work.

Meeting time: before school.

Dues: none.

To join, contact Ms. Williams (505) or Mr. Foudray (512).

Sponsor: Brian Foudray

*HOSA – Health Occupations Students of America

To develop leadership and technical HOSA skill competencies through a program of motivation, awareness and recognition, which is an integral part of the Health Science Education instructional program.

Proposed activities: We do community service projects such as Teddy Bear Clinics at the Elementary schools, work with the Generations Center, Trunk or Treat at CBC, and we sponsor two school-wide blood drives per year. To join, students must be part of the health sciences program.

Sponsors: Teresa Cowan, Heather Abner.

*KEY CLUB

Key Club is sponsored by the Kiwanis Club of Winchester, Key Club is an international student-led organization providing members with opportunities to provide service, build character and develop leadership.

To join, see Mr. Parish in the Guidance Office.

*SPANISH CLUB

This foreign language club explores Spanish-speaking culture and practice language skills. Proposed activities: movies, food, service projects in community, making cultural products. Meeting time: 2nd Wednesday of the month in 411 at 7:55 a.m.

Dues: $20

Sponsor: Megan Snellen

*STLP – Student Technology Leadership Program

This club offers leadership and technology experience as students create and develop projects (group and individual) for regional and state competitions. Open to anyone grades 9-12.

Dues: $5.

Sponsor: Connie Cobb

*Y-Club

The Y-Club program provides high school students a chance to participate in hands-on activities that develop leadership skills, help one understand the importance of civic responsibility, and enhance our community through service projects.

This organization allows students to put democracy in action by participating in the KYA and KUNA Conferences and meeting with other schools from around the state.

Proposed activities: We will attend the KYA Conference in the fall, KUNA Conference in the spring, and complete community service throughout the school year.

Dues: $15 for the fall/you will get $10 off of KYA fees for being a member.

To join, see Mr. Smith or Ms. Crowell.

Sponsor: Amanda Crowell

*YOUNG DEMOCRATS

Young Democrats are a youth-based political organization that serves as the entry point to Democratic politics for young activists nationwide.

Meeting time: first Thursday of every month.

Sponsor: Brent Sizemore

*YOUNG REPUBLICANS

Young Republicans serve as the youth wing of the United States Republican Party whose aim is to provide support to the party and its candidates.

Meeting time: Every other Tuesday in Room 313 before and after school.

Sponsor: Taylor Bumgardner

ALL INFORMATION PROVIDED BY CLUB SPONSORS IN RESPONSE TO AN EMAIL SENT TO ALL GRC STAFF.