Library’s Makerspace Utilized by Students

Making Good Use of Your Space

Jared Howard, 11th, uses the letter cutter in the Makerspace for a class project.

Annie Bradshaw

Annie Bradshaw

Haley Snell, Multimedia Staff

Have you ever heard of GRC Makerspace? If you answered no, you probably think the program is new, but it actually started four years ago at the GRC library.

Cardinal Creation Makerspace allows students to create projects using resources that are readily available.

It features things like gaming, coloring, school projects, puzzles, robotics, or whatever interests you.

Students can create these projects using various art supplies, Legos, K’nex, the colored printer, and even a 3D pen.

The laptops are also available for research purposes, while there is also access to video editing equipment.

The resources at Makerspace in the Media Center can also be used for class projects, and Dylan McCarty took advantage of that while working on an AP Biology assignment.

“The Makerspace resources were extremely beneficial,” McCarty says, “It allowed me to get and present my
information in a creative way.”

Any student who is interested in joining GRC Makerspace may check out Cardinal Creation time on Oct. 2 at 8 a.m. in the Media Center.

“Creation Time is open to all students,” Cobb said. “I love to see students sharing ideas, collaborating on projects, and teaching others using the tools and supplies in the Media Center.”

Following the first meeting, the groups meets every Tuesday and Thursday morning.

“I strongly encourage all of our students to visit the space,” Cobb says, “then they can decide for themselves if it is useful to them for their learning environment.”

About the Contributors
Haley Snell, Social Media Editor
Haley Snell is a Senior and second-year Smoke Signals member. She loves penguins, her favorite movie is Christmas Vacation, and she dances in her free time.
Annie Bradshaw, Multimedia Staff
Annie Bradshaw is a Junior and first-year Smoke Signals member. She loves watching One Tree hill and picks yellow as her favorite color.