Seven Students Qualify for State Skills USA

Back to Article
Back to Article

State qualifiers in Skills USA pose in front of banner. Not pictured: Austin Cartwright.

Lexi Back, Staff Writer

GRC offers many unique opportunities for students to take or are hoping to reach achievements. One academic outlook is offered in the ATC known as “Skills USA.”

This program is a student organization that allows those involved in skilled, service, and health occupations to showcase their talents at the annual contest held in state.

Seven GRC students have qualified in regional competition to go on to state – seniors Daniel Jones, Tyler Morgan, and Josh Mcknight; junior Austin Cartwright; and sophomores Peter Kovalic, Preston Hahn, and Jacob Green.

The state competition is set for April 19 where these seven students will compete against other Skills USA champions from across Kentucky.

Robbie Barnes, who teaches informational technology in the ATC, is the advisor this year in charge of mentoring every student who is involved and to take what they have been taught to the next level of challenge.

The club is available to any student who is in a technical program. “It’s a partnership the ATC has with students that helps each student excel,” Barnes said. “We provide educational events and competition and other avenues for them to have support in their career/technical education.”

Competition begins locally and if the judges are impressed by a student’s credibility and performance, he or she will continue through state and possibly, national levels.

More then 5,000 students (champions from each of the individual states) compete in the $35 million national event.

Students interested in being a part of this rewarding program may join by getting in contact with any teacher in the ATC hallway, or even by asking a student familiar with this program.

1 Comment

One Response to “Seven Students Qualify for State Skills USA”

1. Angela Mcclain on April 3rd, 2017 7:19 am

Hello Lexi Back,
    Nice information shared by you. I would like to draw your attention towards our scholarship named as “The Dreamvention Contest” and application Deadline is “April 24, 2017”. The contest is open to persons who are legally residing in and physically located within one of the 50 United States or District of Columbia and who are at least seven (7) years of age at the time of entry.

For more information regarding the application students can visit the following link:
    http://usascholarships.com/the-dreamvention-contest/

Candidates can get latest updates regarding various education scholarships, fellowships, awards and competitions through our given Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/MyUSAScholarships?fref=ts

• Seven Students Qualify for State Skills USA

2016-17 News

Smoke Signals Wins Third State Championship

2016-17 News

GRC Gear Up Student of the Year: Scott Newlin

2016-17 News

Air Rifle Team Continues to Hit Mark at Competitions

2016-17 News

Athletic Complex Plans Moving Forward

2016-17 News

JROTC Seniors Receive Scholarship