Skills USA makes waves at state conference

Photo submitted
Skills USA Closing Ceremony. Mr. Willoughby, Jones Howard, Logan Barrett, Karl Anderassen, Jacob Davison, Eden Selby, Ian Salas, Lydia Chenault, Hayden Jackson, Brayden Lewis, & Mr. Keeton.

Welding, Carpentry, Sculpture Building, Job Skills Demo, Extemporaneous Speaking, and Automotive.

Our very own GRC SkillsUSA organization competed in these events at the SkillsUSA state competition. GRC students were successful in their competitions with one winner, Jones Howard, and one
member elected as a SkillsUSA state officer, Lydia Chenault.

Jones Howard competed in the Related Technical Math competition. Jones won his competition and received a set of screwdrivers and a medal. This competition is a math test related to the geometry and angles of certain shapes used in things like welding.

“It felt really good to win the competition,” says Jones. “I won the region competition last year, but didn’t get a score that was good enough to make it to the state competition. So making it to state and winning first place felt really good.”

Jones Howard wins first place in his leadership event and Lydia Chenault is named as one of the Skills USA State Officers.

Skills members were able to take a little time off after their rigorous competition to have a little fun on the side. Club participants and teachers enjoyed a night of swimming and TopGolf to celebrate their success over the competition.

“My favorite memory from the the trip was when our school went swimming and then to Top Golf,” explains Lydia.“I enjoyed both of these moments and I made memories that I will keep forever. I certainly didn’t win any games at Top Golf but I did learn how to properly swing a golf club.”

Lydia was selected as a 2024-2025 state officer, with specific offices to be assigned at a later date. To be selected as a state officer you must create a portfolio with pictures of your work, a written biography about you, a personal essay, and your resume.

You have to take a test on the history of  SkillsUSA and pass a statesman test. A statesmen test is where you memorize 20 facts about SkillsUSA and repeat them to the previous state officers. You must also campaign and give speeches while doing all of this.

“To be selected as a state officer, it felt like a huge accomplishment,” says Lydia. “I am super proud of myself and how far I’ve come since nationals last year. Being a state officer to me means going above and beyond to help prepare students for the work force, encouraging them to achieve greater goals and helping them excel above their  expectations of themselves.”

Lydia said she has big expectations for SkillsUSA in the state of Kentucky, including having a significant impact on the students individually. She looks forward to meeting as many new people as she can and opening new doors for herself as time goes on.

“I will have to set an example and be a leader to the students involved in SkillsUSA through my actions and help them in any way that I can,” Lydia says. “I am most looking forward to seeing how much SkillsUSA helps students individually. My favorite part of being an officer is listening to the students’ individual stories and seeing how much SkillsUSA has helped them come out of their shell and taught them new skills.”

Our GRC students are extremely lucky to have an amazing and successful organization like SkillsUSA in our high school to help them succeed. The club opens so many doors for a future in not only trades but other technical careers.

Congratulations to Jones and Lydia on their success at state in SkillsUSA.