Spring sports head toward season finale

Senior Carter Maynard leads off after a hit.

May is here. School is in its final stages. Students are gearing up for finals and ready for summer to arrive. While it seems everyone is slowing down, GRC’s spring sports are finishing strong. 

Each of GRC’s four spring sports — baseball, softball, tennis, and track & field – has fought all year and look to end the season on a high note. 

GRC Baseball has had a solid season, posting some major wins over Moco, Garrard County, and Lexington Catholic. They close out the year with a 2 game home stand against Lexington Christian and St. Xavier.

First-year head coach Eddie Brooks has implemented the mentality needed to finish strong. 

“The biggest thing I’ve tried to do with them is let them be a player driven team and let them take responsibility for the team,” said Brooks. “I spend a lot of time with them going through some leadership tools, competing, and working on them being accountable for their actions and helping them along the way and about what it means to be accountable and how to hold yourself accountable.

The baseball team will travel to Bourbon for the District and Region tournaments with dates TBA. 

GRC Softball is finishing the year tough, with nine games in the last 11 days of the regular season. They have good wins, including a 16-0 win over Berea.

First-year head coach Brian Caudill has fought to get the best out of his team. 

“I tell the girls all the time, they’re going to make mistakes. There’s no such thing as a perfect ball player,” said Caudill. “But there’s also no excuse for not being the perfect teammate. That’s something that’s easy to do. That’s what I stress the most, be the perfect teammate, root the players that are out on the field or up at bat.”

The softball team will host districts at GRC on May 20-21. They will travel to Scott for the Region tournament, May 27-29.

GRC Tennis has taken a step in the right direction this year, showing resilience with a nice win over Montgomery.

Head coach Seth Heinss has helped the team buy into the culture and support each other.

“My coaching staff and I are currently working to build team unity and a supportive tennis community,” said Heinss. “Tennis can be an individualistic sport. When the supportive team community is added to the sport it greatly elevates the enjoyment and competitiveness of the sport. There is an electric atmosphere at our home matches when all of our players come out to cheer on the players on court.”

The tennis team will travel to Campbell and Scott for the District and Region tourneys.

GRC Track & Field has had an excellent season, including breaking multiple different school records.

First-year head coach Terry Yeast has strived to get the best out of his team, both on and off the track.

“I want them to give 100%, full effort, everyday, not just with track & field, but with everything they do, whether it’s cleaning up the house or in the classroom or any other thing they do,” said Yeast. “We don’t know how long we have so we have to give our best. We know we need to be the best we can be while we have time.”

The track & field team will travel to Lafayette for regions on May 21.