Smoke Signals Student Media

Smoke Signals Student Media

Smoke Signals Student Media

A tribute to Sergeant Marty Jackson

On Sunday, April 14th, a shining light in our community moved on.

Sergeant William “Marty” Jackson passed away this week.

Sergeant Jackson was a law enforcement officer 47 years with the Winchester Police Department, even previously rising to be Police Chief.

Marty was one of Winchester’s finest and everybody loved him. He was a key part of our community and this city and county will miss him dearly. 

“Sergeant Jackson was a dedicated law enforcement officer for nearly 50 years,’ said Winchester Mayor JoEllen Reed. “He loved his community and continued keeping a watchful eye on our community until his final moments. He will be missed.”

Nearly every student at GRC has encountered him some time or another. Even up to the day he passed away he served our school system as a traffic control officer during morning arrival and afternoon departure for RDC Junior High, and most of the time his puppy was in the cruiser as he directed the traffic.

The GRC student body will severely miss Sergeant Jackson. He was a key part of our community and was a positive influence on our community and our youth.

Several students at GRC are in the Police Explorers program which allows them to go on ride alongs and get experience in the police force. Sergeant Jackson helped with this program.

“He was always very kind and someone me and my fellow explorers would look up to because he has accomplished so many amazing things during his time with the Winchester P.D.,” said GRC student Andrew Oliver. “Even though I didn’t know Marty well personally, he is still somebody I won’t forget, along with everything he’s done for Winchester.” 

Sergeant Jackson’s legacy will live on through our community and our top-of-the-line police department.

Sergeant Jackson, Clark County Public Schools students will remember your legacy and continue to thank you for your unwavering support and service to our students’ safety every morning and afternoon. 

We love you, Unit 38.

Sergeant Jackson, rest in peace. 

View Comments (2)