The one and only Mrs K: The woman behind the books

Mrs. K has transformed our library into a place where students thrive educationally and socially.

The Book Buff, The Library Lady, The Resident Reading Connoisseur.

Mrs. Carrie Konstantopoulos (Kon-stan-to-pou-los), more easily known as Mrs. K, is GRC’s Library Media Specialist.

Mrs. K has her hands on anything and everything that has to do with our amazing library.

“I am in charge of the collection development of the library, collaborating with teachers to meet academic standards, and promotion of digital literacy,” says Mrs K. “In simple terms – picking out all the books, helping kids research, and making kids fall in love with reading.”

Mrs. K absolutely adores reading, so naturally she can’t wait to help others find a book that is just right for them.

Whether you’ve just finished a book, or have never picked one up, Mrs. K is the person to go to.

“I love helping all the students find a joy in reading,” says Mrs. K. “Sharing that love for reading with others every day is just amazing. I also love the fact that I get to read for a living.”

Mrs. Konstantopoulos has been our Library Media Specialist since 2022. However, getting hired was not as simple as it may seem.

“All librarians who work in a school setting have to have taught first,” says Mrs. K. “I actually taught second grade for 16 years before being able to take this job.”

After many great years of teaching right here in Clark County, Mrs. K finally had a chance at her dream job. With the job position opening up, Mrs. K was more than excited for a transition.

“After my teaching degree, I decided to get my masters degree in library science.” says Mrs. K. “I didn’t actually get the opportunity for this job until two years ago. It’s highly competitive; people love this job.”

Mrs. K has helped create a great atmosphere and environment for all students and teachers here at GRC. The library remains a safe place for all students alike.

“I’ve loved getting to know the kids here.” says Mrs. K. “I think that it’s the people who really make a building, and the students and staff here have been amazing and that’s what makes it so much fun coming to work each day.”

Obviously Mrs. K is extremely passionate about her work here in the school. It shows through her dedication to making our library the best it can be.

“Starting this past summer, I’ve started completing a lot of the manga and graphic novel collections,” says Mrs. K. “I went through and found the missing numbers and series. I’ve also reorganized the spine labels and categories so that section could be updated. This summer I’ll be focusing on the non-fiction section a little more.”

Although Mrs. K might be the biggest reader you know today, she was not always the bookworm she is now. In fact, she got into reading later than most.

“I struggled in elementary school, and even had to be pulled out of class to get help,” says Mrs. K. “I didn’t even read for my enjoyment until I got out of college, so I sympathize a lot with some of these kiddos.”

Mrs. K now strives to help kids see the fun that come from reading a good book, and showing all students that there is so much more to reading than just doing it because it is required for a class.

Mrs. K adds: “I enjoy working with kids so much here because I can say, ‘Let me show you what you’re missing, because reading is amazing.’”

While all the books are fun, another highlight of the library is the amazing decor.

Mrs. K lined the windows with a winter wonderland and plans on continuing the festivities as the year goes on.

“I will do something in here for the March Madness craze,” says Mrs. K. “We also have the big reading celebration in April, so I plan on blowing it up for that.”

Mrs. K wants everyone to know that the library is a very inviting place for every single student.

“My door is always open,” she says. “I never want anyone to feel like they can’t come talk to me. As long as the students have permission, I want them to be in here enjoying the space.”