New seasons, new coaches: Baseball, softball kick off this week

Q&A with first-year coaches
Coach Caudill and Coach Brooks are both entering their first year as GRC softball and baseball coaches.

GRC welcomes Head Coach Eddie Brooks for baseball and Head Coach Brian Caudill for softball.

As both seasons kick off with their openers, the coaches share excitement for the season ahead.

Q: What are you most looking forward to accomplishing this season?

A: Brooks: “The thing that I look most at accomplishing this season is these players to find a way to get better — A, as a person, B, as an individual.”

A: Caudill: “Bringing the team together, supporting each other, and just becoming the best team that we can be. Not so much in wins and losses, but in camaraderie and cheering each other on.”

Q: What games are you looking forward to the most? 

A: Brooks: “From everything I’ve been told since I’ve been here, apparently the Montgomery County one. The one referred to as the war is the one I’d like to be a part of.”

A: Caudill: “I’m looking forward to all the district games, Montgomery County and Bourbon County in particular. I’ve known those coaches for both those teams for years, and it would be fun to see them and coach against them. I’m also looking forward to some of the games we have against some of the bigger teams, to see how we stack up against them.”

Q: How do you feel about coaching at GRC this season? 

A: Brooks: “So far it’s been phenomenal. The kids have been great with some of the crazy things that we have implemented.”

A: Caudill: “I love it. I’ve wanted to do this for quite a while. And, you know, it’s time consuming; it’s a lot of work, but I love it.”

Q: How do you think your team will come together as the season progresses? 

A: Brooks: “I think all the things we’ve been going through together, taking time for team bonding and activities and doing things like that will show up on the field. And the fact that they are a veteran group that has not had a lot of success in previous years, and I think they’re hungry for success and an opportunity to show that they actually are better than people think they are.”

A: Caudill: “I think the more that we play, and we get used to each other, and I get used to the girls’ style of learning, that’s very important to me as a coach. I don’t expect the girls to adapt to my coaching style. It’s up to me to adapt to their learning style. And as I get to know their strengths and weaknesses, I can put them in positions where they can better succeed.”

Q: What is your favorite thing about GRC as a whole? 

A: Brooks: “I think for me it’s how the school itself and the school board seems to embody the whole kid. No matter what the student is involved in, they seem to be proud to provide them with the best and whatever resources that may be.”

A: Caudill: “I love the staff and the students here. My daughter goes to school here, my oldest daughter graduated from here, so I’m familiar with a lot of the students. I’m just really proud to be here.”

Q: What are some words of motivation you conclude your practices with? 

A: Brooks: “Our whole philosophy this year for these kids has been reboot and let’s get one percent better. The one percent better aspect is I need them one percent better in the classroom each day, one percent better as a person, and then last but not least is one percent better as a baseball player.”

A: Caudill: “We talk about leadership quite often and that’s very important to me. I don’t believe there’s natural born leaders, but I do believe there are people born with good leadership qualities. So we spend a lot of time talking about leadership and teamwork and motivation.”

As both seasons kick off this week, the coaches are very excited to be leading these programs with their incredible teams.

These teams will shine bright alongside their amazing coaches and the goals that have been set for them.