Smoke Signals Student Media

Smoke Signals Student Media

Smoke Signals Student Media

GRC claims district title on a bittersweet night

Malachi Ashford sustained a season-ending injury in the second quarter. He had successful surgery Friday and is on the road to recovery. Prayers up for Mali.

WinCity marched to a dominant win over the Bourbon County Colonels Thursday, 73-48. The win marked GRC’s and Josh Cook’s seventh straight 40th District Tournament title.

“Feels like tradition, feels like it had to be done.” said senior JP Gaines.

However, the night was bittersweet for all fans of Clark County as well as fans of the sport itself. Sophomore phenom Malachi Ashford tragically went down with an injury in the 2nd quarter. 

“Such a phenomenal young man who just played his butt off all season. We’ll be here for him every step of the way,” said Coach Cook. 

Ashford will not make a return this season as he underwent surgery Friday morning. The surgery was successful and Malachi is on now on the road to recovery.

The tragedy lit a fire under the Cardinals as they went on a very impressive defensive run to close out the first half, only allowing one point to be scored.

“We just had to win it for Mali,” said freshman Montez Gay. “We had a star out in Malachi and I knew I had to step up, so that’s what I did.”

The boys claim the win alongside the talented GRC Hoops program. For the 7th straight year the GRC boys have had the 40th District in a chokehold.

“It means everything to have both teams bring in the district championship,” said Athletic Director Terry Yeast. “The tradition that has been built here around basketball is truly exciting to see.”

Gay led the team in scoring with a strong 20-point performance. But Montez wasn’t just getting buckets tonight; he also played a huge role on defense. 

“We had to focus up,” Gay said. “The injury was our biggest motivator. After that we really focused on finding each other and playing defense like we know we should.”

A huge push out of the break gave the Cardinals a commanding lead of 54-33 heading into the 4th quarter.

Senior Reshaun Hampton also played both sides of the court tonight with an impressive all-around performance.

“I just tried to really step it up,” Hampton said. “We all played with a different energy that I think helped us win it.”

The trio of Gaines, Gay, and Hampton and their respective performances earned them each the All-District Tournament nod. The three combined for a total of 52 points Thursday night.

With the win the Cardinals move on to the 10th Region Tournament in Mason County, opening against Pendleton County on Thursday. The team looks towards some adversity down the road without their point guard, but it’s nothing that they can’t handle. 

“You have to look at your guys and pull together,” Cook said after the game. “Our guys did that tonight and I’m really proud of them. Everyone just has to step up now.”

Our thoughts and prayers are with Malachi and the Ashford family during this time of recovery. We wish for a speedy and full recovery.