FFA: Extending connections

FFA members teach preschoolers about farming.
Photo submitted

Extending Connections.

This was the goal of the Clark County FFA for this school year. They plan to accomplish this goal by establishing several outreach programs and acts of community service to get their name out there.

One of many ways accomplishes this is through working with both the Clark County Preschool and Campbell Junior High to draw attention to the importance of agriculture.

“Our main goal with the Preschool is to advocate for agriculture among our youth,” says FFA Advisor Mrs. Pigg, “Each month we visit to teach an agriculture lesson that correlates with their current unit of studies which really shows that agriculture is everywhere. With RDC our goal is to develop leadership and social skills with students already enrolled in agriculture classes there.”

The FFA aims to nurture and grow leadership skills in all of its members. The chapter attempts to extend its connections and grow future leaders through agriculture. These students are the future and FFA will continue to reach out to them and educate them on the truths of agriculture. 

“At the middle school, we go and educate the students on leadership and teamwork qualities,” says Chapter Chaplain Charlie Castle. “On the other hand, at the preschool we teach the kids about important agriculture operations and basic information about ag and what it does for our community.” 

GRC FFA members teach leadership skills to RDC ag students.

The FFA uses many different resources to organize these special events for the kids. They collaborate with admin and staff at RDC and the Clark County Preschool to make these events happen. 

“Each fall, students and myself sit down with Ms. Blanton (preschool principal) and develop a plan,” Mrs. Pigg says. “She shares with us the units they will cover and we start brainstorming ways we can incorporate agriculture. For the middle school our Recruitment Committee and Student Advisor plan monthly.”

These programs put on by the FFA are used to encourage the students to get involved with agriculture and learn the truths of what goes on around them. The FFA not only aims to sharpen the agricultural knowledge of the students, but also to grow their own social skills and public speaking. 

“My favorite part about these outreach programs is the experience we get from participating in them,” says Castle. “We are not just teaching others about agriculture, but also sharpening our own publicity skills and abilities.”

These outreach programs create great memories for everyone involved. All students and staff have a great time when the FFA comes to school. These memories range from educational experiences to fun games that were played during the FFA’s time at the school.

The last time we were there they had an absolute BLAST and it was just so fun and heart-warming to see,” says Student Advisor Olivia Warner. “When talking about the preschool there are so many great memories, but my favorite is my freshman year when it was a field day. There were many activities at the field but I was over face painting and it was just so much fun seeing how happy they were after I got done painting their faces.”

The FFA not only goes to schools to educate the students, but also to donate things that will continue to educate even when the FFA is not present at the school. The Clark County FFA loves getting to give back to our community and school system. 

A grant was given to our local FFA chapter to build bookshelves and fill them with agriculturally accurate books. These shelves were built by the Ag Mechanics classes and they looked like barns. They donated eight “book barns” to St. Agatha, Calvary, Grace Bible, Justice, Conkwright, Strode, Shearer, and the Clark County Preschool.

The day the barns were donated, Miss Kentucky Hannah Edelen came to Clark County to promote her literacy awareness program.

“She spoke at several of the schools, we read a book from the book barn and then donated it and the 40 books to each school,” explains Mrs Pigg. 

Our nationally ranked FFA chapter is committed to serving our community beyond the doors of GRC.

They have truly stuck to their mission of “Extending Connections” and getting involved.

If you go to a community event, you are sure to see the Clark County FFA in action fundraising, serving our community, and having a little fun.  

FFA members work with preschoolers on farm-related lessons.
FFA members work with preschoolers regularly.