GRC Hoops, WinCity both play #1 teams in big weekend

Photo by Smoke Signals
Hoops Coach Robbie Graham leads his team to Louisville tonight to take on #1 Sacred Heart.

George Rogers Clark has plenty of incredible athletic programs. It seems every year, a couple teams from Winchester make it far in region and state. For what seems like forever, we have been blessed with elite basketball teams, and this season has been no different.

Our boys basketball team is ranked in the top 10 in the state with a terrific 24-1 record. The girls are right there with the boys with an impressive 23-2 record and ranked 3rd in the state. GRC’s play has caught the attention of top schools around the state this season.

While both teams have dominated this season, it will be tested in their games this weekend.

Tonight, GRC Hoops will travel to St.X to take on #1 Sacred Heart at 6:00. The girls will play the first game of a double header, with St.X and DeSales tipping off at 7:30. The crowd will be packed with fans as two blockbuster games occur in the same gym. A game like this takes preparation and hard work to leave with a win. 

“We have prepared by getting good sleep, eating healthy, watching film, and making adjustments to help us succeed,” says senior forward Makili Tabor. “It is going to take a lot of communication and hard work to beat Sacred Heart. They are a good team but so are we!”

Tabor knows how important communication is in being a leader for GRC.

“Communication is the biggest part of leadership,” says Tabor. “It ensures that we are all on the same page and can transition smoothly during the course of the game. If you lead with a great attitude and have energy then so will the rest of the team.”

Despite facing tough competition, GRC Hoops knows what they have to do tonight.

“We need to play together,” says sophomore guard Teigh Yeast. “We need to have the game at our pace and allow it to come to us. We worked hard together so we know we are ready.”

GRC knows they can’t let the crowd affect them and have to stay focused on the game.

“A game against a top team is different because it brings an enormous atmosphere and crowd that most teams will never get to experience,” says freshman guard Kennedy Stamper. “It is a much tougher game and requires me and my team to be locked in and block all other noises and distractions.”

If the girls game wasn’t enough entertainment, there is more coming.

WinCity Coach Josh Cook leads his team to Georgetown Saturday to take on #1 Great Crossing.

Saturday, the boys travel to Great Crossing to face the #1 team in the state at 4:30 p.m. Great Crossing is 25-1 with an impressive set of wins over out-of -tate schools. A tough road game vs a great team takes focus to win. 

“It will take a lot of discipline and focus,” says senior forward Breland Morrison. “If we listen to everything Coach Cook has to tell us, he’ll have us prepared for the game.” 

Morrison, who scored his 1,000th point on Thursday, knows what this game means for the program, and how they can announce themselves as the top team to beat.

“We definitely want to show that we’re a top team in the state of Kentucky,” says Morrison. “This game would be the perfect game to show that we are.”

In a loud road environment, the Cards know that leadership is more important than ever. 

“Leadership is one of the biggest aspects of the game when facing a top team,” says freshman forward Montez Gay. “It is important that the leaders of a team do their role to give us the best shot at winning.”

Senior Guard Reshaun Hampton played a big role in the Cardinals’ 2022 State Championship and 2023 runner-up teams. He has been in big moments like this before and he is not afraid.

“This game isn’t any different because we have played top teams before and won,” says Hampton. “If we buy in and listen to the game plan, we will beat Great Crossing.”

View Comments (2)