What’s ahead in the 2024 movie scene?

Clay Turley

Seeing it’s after winter break and we’ve entered a new year, it’s time to look forward and see what’s ahead of us in 2024 after a stellar year of movies in 2023. Below is a list of the most highly-anticipated movies coming out within the year. 

10. Mickey 17 (March 29)

This is a sci-fi movie directed by Bong Joon Ho, the same guy that directed Parasite. If you’ve ever seen that movie, then you know that this is going to be good one just because the director alone. However with actors like Robert Pattison and Mark Ruffalo, there’s extra motivation to go and check it out. 

Description- “Adapted from the novel Mickey7 by Edward Ashton, this stars Robert Pattinson as an “expendable” – a disposable crew member on a space mission, selected for dangerous tasks because he can be renewed if his body dies, with his memories largely intact. With one regeneration, though, things go very wrong.”

9. The Beekeeper (January 12)

If you like action movies, this is going to be a must see for you. I mean it stars the king of action, Jason Statham, and everyone’s favorite meme, Josh Hutcherson. What more could you ask for?

Description- “In The Beekeeper, one man’s brutal campaign for vengeance takes on national stakes after he is revealed to be a former operative of a powerful and clandestine organization known as “Beekeepers.”

8. Ghostbusters 4 (March 22)

Everyone’s favorite crime stoppers are back for another one. I would try to hype this one up like the others but you all already know what expect from this movie. Greatness. So go watch it. 

Description- “When the discovery of an ancient artifact unleashes an evil force, Ghostbusters new and old must unite to protect their home and save the world from a second ice age.”

7. Venom 3 (November 8)

Eddie Brock, along with his alter-ego, is back on the big screen. After a long stretch of awful movies made by Marvel (with the exception of Guardian of The Galaxy 3 of course), we’re hoping Venom 3 is going to be different and just as entertaining as the first two. 

There’s no description for this movie up to this point because it’s still in the works, but trust me, you need to go see it. 

6. Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes (May 24)

Before I watched any of the thousand Planet of the Apes movies, I thought they were a joke and never gave them a chance. But I eventually gave in and watched one and was pleasantly surprised. It’s actually a solid action/adventure series that hooks you in and leaves you entertained. I’m sure this newest one will be no different. 

Description- “Many years after the reign of Caesar, a young ape goes on a journey that will lead him to question everything he’s been taught about the past and make choices that will define a future for apes and humans alike.”

5. Dune: Part Two (March 1)

Following up part one, Dune: Part Two is coming out in 2024 with high hopes. I’m going to be honest, I haven’t seen the first Dune, but I have read the book and it is amazing. If they are similar at all, then you’re in for a truly special sci-fi experience that stars Timothee Chalamet and Zendaya. 

Description- Paul Atreides unites with Chani and the Fremen while seeking revenge against the conspirators who destroyed his family. Facing a choice between the love of his life and the fate of the universe, he must prevent a terrible future only he can foresee.

4. Joker: Folie a Deux (October 4)

The first Joker is such a good movie that you’re obliged to watch this one as well. One of the best villains in cinematic history comes back to the screen to show us more of his twisted ways. This new one, however, is actually a musical. It’s going to be interesting to see how one of the most cynical minds in film is going to be portrayed in a musical. 

There’s unfortunately not a description for this movie yet, but there doesn’t need to be one for you to go and check it out. 

3. Deadpool 3 (July 26)

This movie has a bunch of hype, and rightfully so. The first two Deadpools are so funny and entertaining that it’s a no brainer to watch this next one as well. It’s a comedy about superheroes… and has Ryan Reynolds… that’s all you need for a good movie. 

Description- “Wolverine is recovering from his injuries when he crosses paths with the loudmouth, Deadpool. They team up to defeat a common enemy.

2. Gladiator 2 (November 22)

The first Gladiator movie is one of the best films of all time. It is flat out phenomenal. I don’t want to give away the whole plot, so I’ll give you a couple blurbs to sum it up: Roman Empire days, insane battles, redemption, epicness. If you haven’t seen it yet, that needs to change ASAP. Then once you’re done watching that one, go to the theaters to be blown away by the second one!

Description- “The story of Gladiator 2 is set years after the events of the 2000 film and centers on Lucius, the son of Lucilla and the nephew of Commodus, who is now a grown man.”

1. Kung Fu Panda 4 (March 8)

What else could be number one? The original Kung Fu Panda trilogy is quite literally a masterpiece. Maybe it’s just the nostalgia that’s attached to it that makes it what it is, or maybe it’s because of the soul gripping plot and story of the dragon warrior. It’s a true rags to riches story. A story of an unlikely hero that keeps evil at bay, that goes on a journey to find the true meaning of the life, all while just wanting some dumplings. Kung Fu Panda 4 has some huge, huge, shoes to fill. Hopefully it does the originals justice.  

Description- “After Po is tapped to become the Spiritual Leader of the Valley of Peace, he needs to find and train a new Dragon Warrior, while a wicked sorceress plans to re-summon all the master villains whom Po has vanquished to the spirit realm.”

These are just 10 of the most hyped up movies coming out within the year, but there a ton of others coming to the big screen in 2024. There’s going to be a lot to watch so grab your friends, go to the closest theater, and enjoy the show!