GRC Hoops Gains Fresh Talent with Transfers

Kennedy Igo goes for the shot.

Sacrifice. It’s the type of commitment that puts your body on the line. Taking that charge or diving for a loose ball is a sacrifice. Giving up time with friends and family to complete suicides and lift weights is a sacrifice. Balancing school responsibilities with home expectations, while competing in hours of practices and games is a sacrifice.

This is what the GRC Hoops are willing to sacrifice each and every day to play the sport they love.

In particular, two starters, Hayley Harrison and Kennedy Igo, made the ultimate sacrifice each by adjusting to a new school, new coaches, and new teammates for the opportunity to play basketball for GRC.

Sophomore and guard Hayley Harrison played for East Jessamine middle and high before moving to Clark County. Since then, she believes this experience on the court has taught her a lot about herself. “Basketball has taught me how to set a goal, be a leader, and to hold myself accountable,” she explains. “It’s important to be a team player and do whatever is necessary to win.”

Having the opportunity to play for the Cardinals was an exciting prospect for her. “I couldn’t wait to play with such great players and a great coaching staff, as well as a great program such as GRC,” Harrison says.

Transferring schools, however, was a situation that took her outside of her comfort zone. “I was also very nervous,” she says. “I knew I had to come in and prove myself to the other girls and coaches.”

She also elaborates on adjusting to a whole new style of play with her new basketball mentor. “Coach Graham’s coaching is a lot different then where I came from, but I like it because it’s more aggressive,” Harrison says. “He does a great job of challenging you to work on your weaknesses and he really stresses team ball and playing fast, which means running and hitting the weight room.”

Although she had to leave behind her teammates and friends she grew up with in Jessamine County, she is motivated to keep working hard. “I want to be the best I can be and know that there is nothing I could have done to make myself better before I graduate high school,” Harrison says.

The decision to transfer schools was met with a lot more hesitation for freshman and point guard Kennedy Igo. Playing basketball throughout middle school, Igo found a home in Montgomery County, so relocating to GRC wasn’t an easy choice for her. “I had played ball with the same group of girls for three years and it was hard to leave,” she says. “I felt I needed to go to a program that challenged me to prepare for the next level.”

After nearly a year of contemplating, Igo realized GRC was the best choice for her. “The coaching staff, the teachers, and the counselor made the transition a lot easier,” she says. “I’ve made great friends and I have a great team that has welcomed me and made me feel like a family.”

Still living in Montgomery County, this move has made finding a moment of freedom rather difficult for the freshman. “My parents put in a lot of time driving me back and forth to school and practice,” she says. “My day starts at 6:30 and sometimes I don’t leave school until 9 at night, but it has all been worth it and I know I have made the right decision.”

As the season progresses, Igo wants to prove she is worth taking a chance on. “As a point guard, people look to me to be the leader of the team,” she says. “My goal is to earn the trust and respect of my teammates, and lead them to a district title and a chance to win the regional championship.”

Harrison echoes this statement by expressing her anticipation to compete against her former team Dec. 15. “I’m really excited to play my old teammates, but more importantly, show off my new team,” she says. “It will be a little different though not wearing east’s uniform after playing up on the high school team since 6th grade, but I think I look best in red.”

The GRC Hoops team hopes the sacrifices they’ve made will be enough to remain undefeated as they compete in two home games and two tournaments later this month.