Fine Arts Cohort Enters Third Year

Learn the FACts about the Arts

Juniors Emma Mitmesser and Madison Plowman show off their drawing and acting skills as members of the Fine Arts Cohort.

Walking through the auditorium doors is always an interesting experience. In one corner, there could be dance students stretching for their routine. In another, a music student tunes his guitar while his friend practices sight singing beside him.

For students who would rather put on stage makeup than a basketball uniform, or rather hear the tick of a metronome than the buzz of a shot clock, their safe haven is found in the Fine Arts Cohort.

The Fine Arts Cohort started three years ago, and has been growing ever since. Madison Plowman, a junior, has been a part of this new experience for all three years. Her art specialization is drama.

“We’re more efficient with our projects and performances,” said Plowman when describing the evolution of the Cohort. “We’re getting the word out about how we’re involved in the arts.”

Katherine Lowther, the head of the FAC, set goals for the program when it was founded in 2014, and they are constantly working toward achieving them. One of these goals is for the FAC to be completely student run.

“Ideally, we would be completely student managed,” Plowman said, “and that includes directing, costumes, acting, casting, everything. All the arts students would come together and create awesome performances.”

Emma Mitmesser, junior, just entered the FAC this year. She joined the visual arts section of the Cohort.

“By joining Cohort I’ve had the opportunity to develop relationships with people that I normally wouldn’t have,” Mitmesser said. “I’ve gotten to sing and dance and act and all the other art forms. I get to go outside my comfort zone.”

Before the Fine Arts Cohort, students who had a passion for the arts fell between the cracks, but now, they have their own piece of the school to be a part of.

Mitmesser has quickly discovered that the Fine Arts Cohort is her new safe place for creativity.

“Anyone who doesn’t feel that they’re able to be themselves needs to join Cohort,” she said. “ You can express yourself so much better.”