Cheer team takes on Game Day

GRC+Cheerleaders
    GRC Cheerleaders

The GRC cheer team is flipped upside down.

Since 2018, the team has competed with loud music, long tumbling passes, and several different stunt sequences throughout the routine. This year, they will take on a different approach.

After being used to competing in a two and a half minute sequence, the cheer squad will now compete in a traditional Game Day routine.

“I ultimately want what is best for the team, and while doing a Game Day Routine will be a different experience, I think it will be a fun change and help us showcase our strengths this year,” says Amelia Jones.

Change can be difficult, but the cheer team is staying optimistic.

Game Day Cheer focuses on crowd leading, which is great for the energetic cheerleaders.

The cheerleaders have always been strong competitors in the “In-Game” portion of the basketball tournament. They brought home the 10th Region In-Game Cheerleading Championship multiple times in the past several years, and are hoping to bring home another this year.

“With a younger team and a rebuilding year, we looked at our strengths and decided switching to Game Day was the best fit for our team,” says Coach Jerrica Whitaker, who is confident in this year’s squad. “This team excels in crowd leading, showmanship, and all the other aspects that a Game Day routine requires.”

GRC Cheer will hit the floor with its Game Day routine for the first time at the the region competition Nov. 11. If the team places, they will move on to the State Championship.

“This competition is all about leading the crowd and keeping them engaged,” says assistant coach Emily Marquez. “We will do multiple cheers and band dances during the competition. We are encouraging the Cardinals to get up and yell with us, as we CLAP for CLARK!”

Switching to the traditional routine was not a decision these girls took lightly, but one they made in confidence.

Change can be a good thing, and the GRC Cheer team is going to prove just that.

View Comments (1)