10 Books to Read This Fall

Graphic by Libby Taylor
    Libby Taylor

You’re sitting on your couch under a thick white knitted blanket. Crisp leaves of crimson, oranges, and vibrant yellows float outside, catching rides on the backs of cool fall breezes. You quietly grab your warm cup of coffee and take a sip, feeling the warmth of the drink hit your stomach.

Normally this is the point where you’d reach for the TV remote or your phone to scroll mindlessly for a few hours, but this time picture something different. A book.

Although it may not be for everybody, fall is by far the best season to sit down and read a good book. Here are some of my favorite books to read in the fall, ranging from stories or suspense, horror, mystery, and so much more. 

Throne of Glass by Sara J. Maas

Throne of Glass is an eight book series that follows the story of an assassin who unknowingly is the ruler of the kingdom known as Erila. However, when she finds out she is the true leader she wants nothing to do with the kingdom or title until she finds out the truth of her past and realizes she must step up to change everyone’s future. This series is full of twist, turns, and never has a dull moment.

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

The Twilight series tells the story of Bella, a teenage girl who falls in love with a vampire named Edward and a werewolf named Jacob in a modern-day world. The books consist of hidden details and moments that the movies don’t have, making them easily better than the movies. This movie series has made its way onto many people’s favorite fall movie lists, and the books are equally as good if not better. 

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

1,000 Splendid Suns is an amazing book series showing the life as a woman in Afghanistan during the 1960’s to 2000’s. It tells the story of two women married to the same abusive man and how they escaped him. The life story of these women has a large emotional pull and hits hard as it opens our eyes to a world you didn’t know existed not too long ago. The book is an amazing read and truly can bring tears to your eyes. 

The Cruel Prince by Holly Black 

The Cruel Prince is a series about the fight for the throne between family members in a world. It follows the story of a human girl named Jude in a world full of Faerie. She was adopted by a noble man in the world who murdered her parents, forcing her to learn to live in a strange world. While trying to find her way in this strange world she has to deal with the bullying of the youngest child of the king.

Lightlark by Alex Aster 

Lightlark has become a huge hit with book tok and has become a bestseller in many bookstores as it tells the story of a mysterious curse that’s taken over the world. To stop this curse every 100 years the rulers of each region come together to defeat it in a Hunger Games-like fight called the Genitals. All rulers have a power correlating with their region, except for Ilsa ron. She was born powerless making her a very easy target. She must realize how to keep herself alive while also trying to solve the curse before it’s too late. 

It by Stephen King 

This horror classic has been a favorite read for many years. It tells the story of a killer entity that takes the form of children’s fears every 27 years to kill them. In 1957 Bill’s little brother , Georgie, gets murdered by this entity dressed as a clown, causing Bill to get his friends together to hunt the clown down. This book is full of twist, turns, and is a very gory read, but will forever be a Halloween classic. 

I Who Have Never Known Men by Jacqueline Harpman

Jacqueline is a holocaust survivor telling her story from a different point of view since she was so young when it happened. It tells the story from the point of view of the youngest of 40 women stuck in an underground bunker guarded by men. But one day the guards disappear and they are free to go above ground where they discover other bunkers. However, these bunkers are empty and have been for a while. 

None Shall Sleep by Ellie Marney 

None Shall Sleep tells is a psychological thriller about a girl named Emma who survived a serial killer and is now being recruited by the FBI to interview and help crack young killers in juvenile prison with Travis Bell, a U.S. marshal. While they are interviewing these convicted felons a string of teenage murders are occurring, causing them to turn to a sociopath teen named Simon Gutmunsson, a convicted serial killer. But as Simon gives them clues that seem to help them, he has other things in mind. 

Circe by Madeline Miller

This story tells the Greek mythological origin story of the powerful Circes. Circes is the daughter of the Greek God, Helios. She was the outcast of her family due to her lack of powers making her the weak link in the family line. After all her siblings leave her d\ads home she goes on a mission to find an herb that would change her life, for better or for worse. 

Coraline by Neil Gaiman 

Coraline is a Halloween classic as it tells the story of a girl who moves to a new home and finds a hidden doorway to another world that holds many dark secrets.  The other world is a perfect place that is run by the other mother whos a little to perfect. The story is a classic for many to read and watch as it has it’s wn movie that isn’t nearly as dark as the book. 

All these books are amazing fall reads, ranging from gory murder, to origin stories of Greek gods.

No matter what books your into you’ll give at least one of these books a spot on your favorite all reads list.